This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#12484 by mthomtech
Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:32 pm
The last update on my side, was that Ooma sent me a hub and scout to test and I still had the scratchiness on the receiving end when I called from the scout. I then sent that back for them to do some additional hardware testing.

I did get an update that they are planning a couple additional troubleshooting tests, but I think they are also gearing up for the Telo release which I'm sure is taking the engineers' time.

I'll post as soon as I hear more.

For me, I primarily use the hub, which I'm getting good quality from, and the scout is usable when needed, even though the scratchiness is there.
#12494 by scottlindner
Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:57 am
mthomtech wrote:The last update on my side, was that Ooma sent me a hub and scout to test and I still had the scratchiness on the receiving end when I called from the scout. I then sent that back for them to do some additional hardware testing.

I did get an update that they are planning a couple additional troubleshooting tests, but I think they are also gearing up for the Telo release which I'm sure is taking the engineers' time.

I'll post as soon as I hear more.

For me, I primarily use the hub, which I'm getting good quality from, and the scout is usable when needed, even though the scratchiness is there.


I recently started using my Scout and have observed the same scratch sound you are referring to.

Scott
#12553 by stevepow
Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:03 pm
Hello everyone...

I just got my setup - call quality to the US seems OK, but we made a call to Panama that was not so good tonight (of course many factors could cause this)...

I have been calling my Cell Phone v-mail from both the HUB and Scout to check on how the "other" person hears me. I can tell some degradation with the Scout, but not bad - no scratchy sounds. Call quality of the v-mail from the HUB compared with the same phone and location from a land line is hard to distinguish - land line probably has the edge but not drastically. Of course this a call to a cell phone vmail checked by calling the cell phone. Hardly pristine conditions for a comparison. I need to get a test partner for some HUB to LL and Scout to LL comparisons. And we need to call some more people out of the US.

Is there an explanation of how the Scout works with the HUB? It is obviously not like a normal telephone connection. I think it is similar to an A/V extender setup I have call LeapFrog from Terk. In fact it is HPNA, so the communication between the HUB and Scout are digitized over the HPNA network. This is how the line will default back to land line if ooma goes dead - the Wall port on the HUB apparently switches off the HPNA net and becomes a normal tele jack thru to the Phone port - as if the phone were plugged directly into the wall again.

I suspect this is why the quality is also lower - HPNA has good bandwidth, but how well ooma uses it could depend on a lot.

I have the Terk LeapFrog A/V stuff running audio all over my house - been using it for a long time. When I hooked up ooma, I had to go to each outlet using LeapFrog and add a outlet splitter (L1, L2, L1&2) - RadioShack or Home Depot has them. I had to make sure all the Terk boxes were only on L1 (my primary land line) and that ooma Hub and Scout were only on L2 (the land line I'd like to replace with ooma). Without that setup, I was getting hum and clicking in the Audio playback over Terk - and the Scout was touch and go as well.

All my house wiring is a long daisy chain from one outlet to the next as best I can tell - at least all the wiring is in parallel - any connection at any outlet can see any other outlet.

At any rate, it may help some who are having Scout issues to understand that dual-line connections with different devices plugged into both lines at once (like the Scout) can cause problems. And also to understand that HUB<-->Scout is not "pure" - it is a digitized (A/D and D/A conversion) put over a network. Equipment that does that with very high quality audio is expensive - so I am not surprised that we get a hit from the Scout.

I still have a lot of testing to do to decide if I keep all this gear. Sure it could save money and that was the pitch, but the pitch was not "Save money if you can deal with poor quality voice calls" - not my goal. I was not expecting it to be as good as a land line - but I do expect it to not be distracting to people I call.
#12606 by Aveamantium
Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:14 am
mthomtech wrote:I did get an update that they are planning a couple additional troubleshooting tests, but I think they are also gearing up for the Telo release which I'm sure is taking the engineers' time.


I just hope that once the Telo is released, they don't abandon efforts to get this fixed for those of us without Telo's!
#12646 by akajustm
Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:15 am
scottlindner wrote:
I recently started using my Scout and have observed the same scratch sound you are referring to.

Scott

Same issue here, the Scout calls are very scratchy when the person (on the ooma side) is speaking and a little tinny sounding. Just hooked up the equipment today and this is rather disappointing.
#12673 by Aveamantium
Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:21 am
mthomtech wrote:The last update on my side, was that Ooma sent me a hub and scout to test and I still had the scratchiness on the receiving end when I called from the scout. I then sent that back for them to do some additional hardware testing.

I did get an update that they are planning a couple additional troubleshooting tests, but I think they are also gearing up for the Telo release which I'm sure is taking the engineers' time.

I'll post as soon as I hear more.

For me, I primarily use the hub, which I'm getting good quality from, and the scout is usable when needed, even though the scratchiness is there.


mthomtech,

I don't know if this is a hardware limitation or not but has there been any discussion with the techs to add the option to dump the HPNA and just extend a normal dial tone through the Scout? I don't have anything else running on the copper pair serving the Scout so I don't really need to use HPNA. I think it is good to have the option in case the line is being used for DSL or the like but having the option to use something more "standard" may make the Scout quality issues go away?

I just talked to my wife using a Hub phone and the call was great as usual... However, she called me again later using the Scout phone and not only was it scratchy on my end when she talked but I even got echo this time (first time for that). Frustrating that the call quality can be so degraded when using the Scout as compared to the Hub. Really makes the "instant second line" hard to use!
#12674 by Groundhound
Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:41 am
Aveamantium wrote:I don't know if this is a hardware limitation or not but has there been any discussion with the techs to add the option to dump the HPNA and just extend a normal dial tone through the Scout? I don't have anything else running on the copper pair serving the Scout so I don't really need to use HPNA. I think it is good to have the option in case the line is being used for DSL or the like but having the option to use something more "standard" may make the Scout quality issues go away?

I just talked to my wife using a Hub phone and the call was great as usual... However, she called me again later using the Scout phone and not only was it scratchy on my end when she talked but I even got echo this time (first time for that). Frustrating that the call quality can be so degraded when using the Scout as compared to the Hub. Really makes the "instant second line" hard to use!

Sorry if this has already been tried (this is a long thread), but if you connect the wall port on your hub directly to the wall port on your scout (no house wiring), and then make a call from a phone connected to the scout's phone port, do you still have the same quality issues?
#12675 by Aveamantium
Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:48 am
Personally no, I have not tried to connect the scout to the hub directly yet... However, my hub is connected to my Line 1 house wiring w/o issue. I do need to try this but since I can't hear the static over my cell phone (which still baffles me) I have to do this when I'm at work and someone is at home and unfortunately no one else has the interest that I do to troubleshoot.

I'll test some more tonight by leaving some voicemails at my work to see if connecting directly to the hub makes any difference. By the way I have tried different phones w/o success.

By the way, if this was a wiring issue wouldn't the static always be there and on both ends of the conversation? It seems to be pretty consistent that the only static that is audible is when the voice is coming from the scout phone (as heard on the non-ooma side).
#12678 by Groundhound
Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:07 am
Aveamantium wrote:By the way, if this was a wiring issue wouldn't the static always be there and on both ends of the conversation?

Not sure, but there may be something defective about the scout or its power supply that would be easier to diagnose if all other variables are removed.
#12683 by Aveamantium
Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:26 am
Groundhound wrote:
Aveamantium wrote:By the way, if this was a wiring issue wouldn't the static always be there and on both ends of the conversation?

Not sure, but there may be something defective about the scout or its power supply that would be easier to diagnose if all other variables are removed.


I agree! Just trying to figure this out... Like I mentioned, I'm going to try making a buch of different test calls tonight to see if I can nail this down.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests