This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#6094 by jaycoxt
Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:31 pm
Timothy wrote:jaycoxt - Great point! I can't emagine Ooma picking a codec that sounds great one end of the conversation and not the other. So could very well be the problem. Is the a Mod here that can look into this or provide some Insight?

How you got Vonage to resolve that is beyond me..

I had to call, and call, then call and get them to call my line. They sent me new routers and the whole nine yards. Once I made them call my number and listen first hand to the issue they fixed something on their end, but didn't get me a full report. I'm just a customer...LOL.
#8563 by ram104
Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:09 pm
I just wanted to give a follow-up on my call quality. I have noticed the calls are much better and have had no quality problems and calls are finally clear.
Not to sure if ooma has done some firmware updates or something, but this are much better. Hopefully Timothy and everyone else who had joined this chat are doing better.
#8567 by Mike1
Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:59 pm
There are so many other factors that come into play OTHER then BW. You can not automatically fault ooma for the paths your packets take. This isn't always in their control. When a call is placed is has to transverse a vast network and two packets can take completely different paths. Some packets may arrive before other packets, out of order or not at all. Ethernet is not a guranteed service, meaning packets get sent the best they can. If they disappear or never show up there is nothing you can do. Your ooma modem has to reassemble what it recieves the best it can all with a fraction of a second. I would politely call ooma and see if they can assist in fixing your problem they might be able to help resolve the paths your packet take and fix your problem. This is a much more complex problem then Bandwidth which people like to over simplify.
#8636 by ptaylor874
Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:02 pm
Back on March 12, 2009, Mojo said this:
Right now when you enable QoS, ooma reserves approx. 100 Kbps of traffic. If you do the math, this is enough bandwidth for 2 simultaneous voice calls but not a simultaneous one voice call and one fax call. Because of this, we'll be changing the reserved QoS to be approx 130 Kbps by default. At the same time, we'll be releasing a QoS knob to control the reserved bandwidth (I believe the available options will be 40,70,130 [default],160,185,215 [Kbps]). I think this will be released sometime this month or in early April along with Blacklisting/Multi-Ring for landline ooma systems.

Any news on this?

I'm impatiently waiting... :)
#8641 by Timothy
Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:10 pm
Ram102 and ptaylor874 - I appreicate your updates here!..this topic has been quiet for awhile. I too have been patiently waiting to hear something. When I'm at work (with landline) tomorrow I'll have the wife call me so I can test. Are you saying the quality is that of dialing *99 on the receiver end on using the phone connected to the Hub? Or are you referring to the sound quality issues (crackling etc..) of the Scout as previously discussed?

ptaylor874 - I too have been waiting for this update as well. I have called customer serivce and emailed Mojo. Mojo hasn't responded and customer service has no clue. Customer service even put me on hold for 5 minutes trying to speak to the tech's about the "QOS Knob" and nothing. In my opinion, the 800 support line is useless. I even had an issue with explore browser 7 not working to update the the shared devices under the preferences tab. Support told me to use another browser like mozilla as there system doesn't work well with explore 7 and no updates are expected. Nice huh?
#8684 by ram104
Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:58 am
Timothy, I was using *99 while making outgoing calls through ooma but I stopped.
When I dial a number and the other party picks up there is a slight delay, but it quickly fixes itself.
I have to admit I don't miss paying that $60/month phone bill.
I can't wait for this qos knob mojo was talking about.
#8705 by Timothy
Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:20 pm
Yes, same for me too. *99 causes an initial slight hick-up sorta speak and resolves. Sometimes being on the call using *99 for an hour or so will cause some cutting out too. It's a guess but thinking the hardware or Ooma's system along the way doesn't like the additional bandwidth and could be the reason of not seeing the QOS Knob. Who knows. Nobody from the Ooma heavens is speaking to us little ones.

On a another note, has anybody had resolution to the crackling issues on the Scout? (readers new to this topic and haven't read everybody's posts from the beginning...I'm talking about being on the receiver end of the call, not a phone plugged directly into Ooma Hub or Scout end)
#9204 by mthomtech
Wed May 06, 2009 12:05 pm
Just a quick update from me on the scout-specific crackling. Ooma has continued to work with me on it, and we've tested various new hubs and scouts, but still have the same results. They are now testing the lastest unit we tried in the lab to see if they can duplicate the issue there.

It is a very strange issue, given all the tests we've tried.

The general call quality has been good for me ... at some rare points I gte some packet loss ... but I had to reset my verizon modem/router the other day, which wiped out my prioritization for ooma ... so I suspect that will help when I update those settings.

Maybe I'll take ooma on my next trip to see if I get the same results from another internet connection.
#9218 by Timothy
Wed May 06, 2009 4:30 pm
mthomtech - Been waiting for your updates and appreicate that very much. Nice to see they are working with you. As much as I love the Idea and features of the Scout, I've made up my mind along with many others I've talked into Ooma not be paying for the $99 year just for the fact the call quality is terrible using the Scout. (i'm talking about the callers end, not the phone plugged into the Scout) The crackling and compression are terrible. I can't even get anybody including the mods here to provide beta updates on the QOS Knob that was supposed to be active last month as well. Hopefully you have received better updates from them than I have with all the emails and comments made by others on the forum topic.
#9222 by jt25741
Wed May 06, 2009 6:41 pm
Timothy wrote:mthomtech - Been waiting for your updates and appreicate that very much. Nice to see they are working with you. As much as I love the Idea and features of the Scout, I've made up my mind along with many others I've talked into Ooma not be paying for the $99 year just for the fact the call quality is terrible using the Scout. (i'm talking about the callers end, not the phone plugged into the Scout) The crackling and compression are terrible. I can't even get anybody including the mods here to provide beta updates on the QOS Knob that was supposed to be active last month as well. Hopefully you have received better updates from them than I have with all the emails and comments made by others on the forum topic.

I too have been tracking this thread. Although I am happy with Ooma VQ in general through the Hub -- Scout gives me the same experience consistently. I have connected the scout directly to the hub WALL jack with identical results, as have others on this thread -- completely eliminating home wiring. Since RMA didn't help others, I am not going to bother. Currently I am using the Scout just as a remote answering machine extension to listen to messages and delete them. No phone is connected to it. If these issues are not fixed, I cannot use any of the advanced for-fee services -- which all center around the Scout.