This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#5861 by jaycoxt
Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:45 am
I noticed the following in the FAX FAQ:

"1. For the best results, make sure your Fax machine is connected to the back of the ooma Hub and not the ooma Scout. The fax machine should be plugged into the "PHONE" port of the ooma Hub. If you plan on using a phone handset with the ooma Hub, you can use a splitter to connect a phone handset and the fax machine to the ooma Hub."

This implies that the call quality is different off of the scout vs. the hub. Is that correct? If so, that could be the source of my poor call quality on the number I use the most which is connected to the scout. Time for more testing...
#5862 by WayneDsr
Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:16 am
Sorry, if you've been asked this before but:
Have you tried putting our Scout next to the hub and connecting them directly, WALL to WALL port? If so, did the quality improve?

I have landline on my house wiring and if I place a Scout next to my hub AND put a second Scout in the next room, ooma will NOT connect to the Scout in the other room. It seems like ooma cannot "hear" the other Scout because of the landline interference. If I disconnect the Scout next to the hub, the Scout in the other room suddenly connects, but with a bit less quality.
If I totally isolate the landline from the line, there are no problems with 2 Scouts running at all, both connect and both have great quality.

I thought this might help with your further testing.

Wayne
#5863 by lohertz
Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:46 am
Wayne makes a good point, only so much bandwidth can be tacked onto 2 little 22ga wires, that we call phone lines.

If you run DSL, home line, scout, you will probably get some type of interference by using the wall port on the hub. Thats why ooma suggestion of pluging into the hub directly for fax. There are just to many variables to contend with to make the fax work.

The best option is if you have an intimate knowledge of your house's phone wiring, where all the wires go, hub & spoke connections or daisy chained, where they terminate etc etc.

If you std 4 conductor wire, you can easily set the ooma scout on the Line 2 wires.
If you have newer construction it is possible you have cat 5 installed and this provide a wealth of options
#5951 by mthomtech
Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:22 pm
UPDATE:

Bobby with ooma ran a few test calls with me. He confirmed the scratchy sound coming from the scout and we eliminated HPNA interference and QoS as the potential issue.

It appears that this is a new issue and they recognize that there are a few of us experiencing it. So they are working with their engineers to get to the bottom of it. Depending on the engineering review, they may test a new hub and scout.

Everything else has been working great. My number port completed this week too, on schedule and without any issues.

I'll keep you posted.
#5952 by WayneDsr
Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:52 pm
I'm going to guess that's one reason Telo has no Scout.

Wayne
#5960 by mthomtech
Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:11 pm
I would guess so too ... the wireless communication of the Telo probably offers them much more than the HPNA of the Scout. The Telo looks sweet, but personally, I still like the hub and scout design.

It sounds like this is a new issue to ooma's knowledge and something that hasn't been brought up in the past. Who knows, it could be something in a recent production run or something. They are definitely trying to get to the bottom of it to correct it for us.

I wish I ha found ooma a month earlier ... fighting Vonage to get some of my contract back. I'm sure they are not as eager to try to win me back like they have in the past ... especially when they know no one would switch back from ooma, when there are no other costs!
#6041 by Timothy
Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:04 pm
Hey mthomtech, Nice work and I'm happy to see your persistence getting this resolved. Did you by chance discuss with Bobby the issue with sound quality issues we spoke awhile back? Being that the sound quality is perfect while being connected to the hub vs the call quality to a person on the other end? As we know the *99 helps considerably specially when the wife or son calls me from home to work (work is on a land line.) I guess my second question to this if if the Telo fixes this, specially since the a new fax quality codec has been added to the Telo as well.

I have yet to see the new QOS settings either by the lounge or logging into the Ooma device.. Maybe Bobby can update us as well on this?
#6066 by jaycoxt
Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:15 am
I have had this type of poor call quality once before with Vonage. It turned out to be Vonage's bridge to VOIP. The Codecs (hardware) were bad, so no matter what the QoS, the call was broken up. Perhaps that's the case here and Ooma just has not figured it out yet.

As it stand now, its not useable.
#6075 by Timothy
Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:33 am
jaycoxt - Great point! I can't emagine Ooma picking a codec that sounds great one end of the conversation and not the other. So could very well be the problem. Is the a Mod here that can look into this or provide some Insight?

How you got Vonage to resolve that is beyond me..
#6082 by mthomtech
Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:13 pm
Timothy - I didn't ask about the general hub call quality or discuss the QoS enhancement to get closer to the *99 uncompressed quality from the hub.

We're going to test a new setup that's been tested in the lab to check out the scout specific issue ... but I'll ask about the general quality too. I do believe my hub quality improved slightly with the QoS changes that I made on my Verizon modem/router. It's been sounding fine when my wife calls me at work.