This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#5299 by ram104
Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:50 am
True Timothy. I had my wife call me from home to my office phone which is a landline. She dialed *99 before my number any wow what a difference. The call was crystal clear with no static. The only problem is when incoming calls come it doesn't work.
#5309 by Sublime
Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:07 pm
Hey Timothy, I am basically happy with the service through the hub although its not as good as a landline. I have good cable internet so I could bump up the bandwidth when the update becomes availlable. *99 didn't fix the outbound scout crackle issue though. I think its either hardware problem with the scout or the HPNA connection between the hub and scout. I hope the upcoming update to the hub will help.
#5318 by Timothy
Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:53 pm
Sublime - I'm with ya buddy. Same issue here along with all the others complaining about this Scout Crackle issue. I would think one of the Ooma Mods would have something to say, after all the Scout and 2nd line are the source of income for this company. Why pay for a second line with all the crackle and static. As mentioned by mthometech he is waiting on a hardware replacement so hopefully we find out something soon. I'm not holding me breath on it though. Regarding the *99, my family has made a practice of dialing this prior to all outgoing calls. Just wishing Ooma would put this setting in the Lounge so I would have to stop dialing *99 on every call.
#5357 by mthomtech
Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:40 am
No news from the official replacement scout yet ... but I did pick up another scout from ebay (I wanted to have the call screening and answering machine functionality in another room, regardless of the scout call quality issue).

I tested that scout and the results were the same. It still has noticeable crackle where the hub does not. So, it's probably not going to be a hardware problem. Makes less sense as more people notice the same thing. I guess it still could be the wall port on the hub (which would effect any scout) ... or it could just be the HPNA.

But I'll keep you posted. My setup is OK now where I have the main phones going through the hub (which has no crackle and the new enhancements may improve quality even more). I use the scouts more for like answering machines. But I really would like the scout to give me a high quality second line to have a dedicated home office number that I could use. I'll just use the second number without dedication to the scout for now.

Not giving up yet on the scout either ... ooma is still working with me on it ... I'll probably keep trying some QoS settings too.
#5361 by Sublime
Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:48 pm
Hey mthomtech, thanks for the update. It's looking like its not a hardware problem with the scout. I'll try some more tests on my setup. I'll keep you posted if I come up with a solution.
#5503 by ram104
Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:35 pm
Any new news on this? I currently, on outgoing calls, dial *99 to get crystal clear calls. I was curious if anyone heard from ooma regarding the update.
#5513 by mthomtech
Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:43 pm
I think the QoS feature enhancement was scheduled for April ... but it doesn't sound like it will fix the scout issue ... but maybe the overall quality enhancement.

I did get my replacement scout and tested it, with the same results, so we've confirmed it's not a hardware issue with the scout. Ooma is running some other tests with me next week to try and narrow it down.

One possibility that I'm going to test out this weekend is the physical location of the hub. Right now I have it near a lot of other electronic equipment. I'm going to move it around to see if that helps. The scout location hasn't seemed to have an effect.

I'll keep you posted as we keep troubleshooting. Bobby B with ooma is working hard to get to the bottom of it.
#5553 by Timothy
Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:20 am
Hey mthomtech - Glad to see your dedication to try resolving this issue. You mention this is not a hardware defect, wonder if this is a codec issue since doing the *99 (additional bandwidth) doesn't make any difference with the crackling sound? I too have moved my equipment around, changed wiring etc and no difference. I've been keeping eye on Comcast connection quality and results average a 26 milsecond latecy with 15 megs down and 4-7 megs up on every test. All the VOIP tests show great results as well. So the more I think about this, it's either a codec or hardware defect in the Scout.

Bobby B - We appreciate all your help and udpates recently. Since it's been a couple weeks prior to you mentioning the QOS settings would be added end of March or beginning April, is Ooma still on target with the date? Also, would this be a setting change in the Lounge or in the setup side of the Hub via Network Settings - setup.ooma.com? Also, I would be happy to beta test this with you to see if this helps resolve the Scout crackling and sound quality on the receiver end as mentioned earlier in our posts. Any info would be appreciated!
Thanks, Timothy.
#5804 by jaycoxt
Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:02 pm
I just got my Ooma and have been testing it heavily. I've most of my tests have resulted in "shaky" call quality. I can hear, but its not good. I've set up the Ooma hub between the cable modem and the rest of my network to ensure the QoS gets used. I configured the Ooma hub with several different up and down settings including the real ones...Still poor voice quality. I actually get better connections connecting the Ooma hub as a client on my network.

They say that voice quality is their nitch, but I have not achived it yet. Having a very high bandwidth connection, I really should not need QoS to get a good call. The problem is likely in the routing between my home and the Ooma servers. Can't attest for that, but still I can do some traceroutes.

So far, not impressed. Building in some more functionality into the hub will likely help us all.
#5812 by lohertz
Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:38 pm
jaycoxt wrote: I actually get better connections connecting the Ooma hub as a client on my network.

I prefer this set up

jaycox wrote:Having a very high bandwidth connection, I really should not need QoS to get a good call. The problem is likely in the routing between my home and the Ooma servers.

QoS does a lot more than control bandwidth, it's need to keep packets together, so your assumption of routing could be directly related to QoS.

You gateway will probably do a better job of QoS than the OOMA hub, IMHO.