This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#61372 by gtjr92
Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:13 am
I have ooma telo and it works great. My mom wants one now.
She gets 2meg down and 768 up on DSL.
However I ran a few VOIP speed tests and they came back saying her speed was fine, but she had a lot of jitter etc.
I can't remember specifics, but that is the bottom line.
Will the OOMA telo work good enough if there is a lot of jitter?

Also are there any referrell promotions going on right now?

Thanks
#61373 by DTMF
Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:42 am
Jitter is bad for real time communication. It means that the connection pushes and pulls packets inconsistently. There will be gaps in the audio caused by the jitter.

Think of the difference between filling a glass of water at a faucet with the water running continuously vs. cycling the faucet off and on a few times while you do it. All of the water gets in the glass either way, but it'd be much more convenient to fill the glass from a faucet that runs continuously.

You'll probably notice significant improvement if you upgrade Mom's connection to her provider's next level of service. I had to do that with mine.

I suspect the jitter inconsistency with the same provider has to do with the provider giving higher priority to the packets of customers who have the higher level of service. Customers who are just loading a few web pages or downloading email won't notice if it takes a second longer to get a few K of data. Customers who are holding a real-time conversation will tend to notice a second-long dropout in the audio of a voice connection. ;)
#61384 by hpepper
Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:01 am
gtjr92 wrote:I have ooma telo and it works great. My mom wants one now.
She gets 2meg down and 768 up on DSL.
However I ran a few VOIP speed tests and they came back saying her speed was fine, but she had a lot of jitter etc.
I can't remember specifics, but that is the bottom line.
Will the OOMA telo work good enough if there is a lot of jitter?

Also are there any referrell promotions going on right now?

Thanks

If you don't live too far away, you could take your Telo over to her place and test it there. Just remember 911 calls will show YOUR address.
#61424 by tommies
Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:16 pm
Last year, I had ATT DSL with only 1.5Mb down and 256Kb up. Despite the limited bandwidth, the quality was excellent, and I did not have any problem with ooma. I tried many times to move up to the higher tier, but that was it because of the distance to the CO.

If you don't mind a little hassle, bring the modem + a laptop with a long (out door) extension cable to the NIT and test the quality when connect the modem to the test jack in the NIT. If the result is better, then the house wiring is the problem (probably bad connectors.) If the result remains the same, call your ISP and have them do a line test.
#61484 by nn5i
Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:35 am
You don't need opinions -- just go test it yourself.

Take your own Telo over to Mom's house, hook it up on her DSL connection, and try it out. Then you'll know for sure.