This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#61262 by alternety
Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:57 pm
I tried searching but found no answers. Ooma website uninformative. The questions:

1- will these functions be available on existing hubs?

2 - If they will is it an automatic firmware upgrade or must the user do something?
#61283 by ajw522
Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:08 am
lbmofo wrote:https://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8618&p=61094#p61116

Don't think they are planning to change anything on the Hub.

I just tried to view that link and got a "You are not authorised to read this forum". WTF??
#61289 by bw1
Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:00 am
There's more info on PureVoice here - https://www.ooma.com/products/ooma-purevoice

The original Ooma Hub will support:
Advanced voice compression
Encrypted calls
Wire-speed QoS

The Telo is required for Adaptive redundancy and a Telo with a Telo handset is required for HD Voice along with connecting to another Telo handset or phone system that supports HD. More industry-wide info on HD Voice here: http://www.voip-news.com/feature/benefi ... ce-060209/
#61295 by lbmofo
Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:26 am
Bobby B wrote:PureVoice to was originally intended to mean adaptive packet redundancy, which is available only on the Ooma Telo.

To make the marketing of other voice quality features easier, the term "PureVoice" was modified to include several components:

- Advanced voice compression (iLBC codec on Hub and Telo)
- Adaptive redundancy (Telo only)
- Encrypted calls (Hub and Telo)
- QoS (Hub and Telo)
- HD Voice (Telo only)
#61347 by alternety
Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:32 pm
So basically I just spent $200 on obsolete equipment. That won't be upgraded. Ever. Dead end!

It would be very handy if Ooma required resellers of their leftover/used junk to explain this. I could be incorrect on this, but as I recollect from looking at the Ooma site a couple of days ago, I can get to current equipment if I upgrade to premium for $120, then they will let me upgrade my hardware for another couple of hundred dollars. I am having a bit of a problem justifying what I just spent.

I can see not maintaining upgrades on on old equipment for new clever features (e.g., a device for letting you know that your dog is thirsty), but not in the basic services. I consider maximum (i.e., as close to a land line as possible) voice quality to be a basic service; not an extra cost add-on. But that is just me. That is particularly annoying if it is possible to include these upgrades with firmware updates (feasibility not known).
#61348 by Quicksprj
Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:50 pm
Just my opinion as an owner of a hub/scout combo and a telo but I think the quality of the hub is outstanding. The real benefit of the hub/scout combo is some of them can still be found that have no fees or taxes. If you hot one of these then it might be worth keeping otherwise why not just return the hub you just bought and buy a telo? Seems like an easy solution to me unless I am missing something. I personally think the hub is better built and seems more bullet proof than the telo. Again just my opinion.
#61349 by lbmofo
Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:03 pm
alternety wrote:So basically I just spent $200 on obsolete equipment. That won't be upgraded. Ever. Dead end!

It would be very handy if Ooma required resellers of their leftover/used junk to explain this. I could be incorrect on this, but as I recollect from looking at the Ooma site a couple of days ago, I can get to current equipment if I upgrade to premium for $120, then they will let me upgrade my hardware for another couple of hundred dollars. I am having a bit of a problem justifying what I just spent.

I can see not maintaining upgrades on on old equipment for new clever features (e.g., a device for letting you know that your dog is thirsty), but not in the basic services. I consider maximum (i.e., as close to a land line as possible) voice quality to be a basic service; not an extra cost add-on. But that is just me. That is particularly annoying if it is possible to include these upgrades with firmware updates (feasibility not known).

Adaptive redundancy is only needed if you have crappy ISP service.

And HD Voice is meh IMO: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8578&p=60144

Outside of Core's RRF exempt status, there are advantages with the older Hub: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7916&p=55741&#p55741
#61350 by av8r
Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:30 pm
alternety wrote:So basically I just spent $200 on obsolete equipment. That won't be upgraded. Ever. Dead end!

How about trying the equipment and seeing if it meets your needs before you get mad that you can't have new features/marketing gimmicks?

I understand wanting the latest and greatest, but sometimes the last version is the best version. I have no complaints with the Hub I just bought ($159 at Radio Shack) The quality is at least as good as the Time Warner digital phone it is replacing.
#61356 by ajw522
Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:34 pm
If you want to get the Telo and money is not an issue and you are planning on getting the Premier, they currently have a Hub To Telo Upgrade program for Premier Hub members. It costs $199, and you get the Ooma Telo, Ooma Telo Handset, and an Ooma Bluetooth Adapter. I know you already spent money on the Hub, but you may want to upgrade to the Telo to get the latest features and other features that may come out in the future, since they will not be available to Hub users. Plus, since you already have the Core, you can transfer your base tier to the Telo and not be subject to the taxes and fees in your area.

Also, the Upgrade Deal is a good deal, when you break it down...for example:

Premier: $120
Hub to Telo Upgrade: $199
$319 Total

No Premier: $0
Ooma Telo: $250
Ooma Telo Handset: $50
Ooma Bluetooth Adapter: $30
$330 Total