This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#59557 by asterix4
Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:55 am
Same here. My CW CID worked just fine with Time Warner's Digital Phone service.
I switched to OOMA and it stopped working..
#59583 by bryanlyle
Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:24 am
Adding my 2 cents... I have a set of Panasonic DECT 6 handsets and CWCID used to work.

Telo w/ premier service.
#59766 by Spiff
Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:47 am
Add my 2 cents as well. I also have a Panasonic DECT 6 system. CWID worked fine with my Ooma Hub. Just upgraded to Telo, and CWID does not work. I subscribe to the premiere service.
#59810 by doug
Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:30 pm
pstousland wrote:I don't understand why Ooma can support caller ID and call waiting but not call waiting with caller ID.

Because they are different technologies and work in different ways. CWID was not available from LECs at the time regular CID was introduced because the technology to send it *during* a call was not developed yet. CWID came much later.

Note also that when you are not on a call, regular CID can be picked up by multiple phones or CID display units as they pick up the CID data modulated between the first and second ring. However, when on a call and CWID must be sent instead of regular CID, only the device which is actively on the phone picks up and displays the CWID data.

Years ago, when I was beta testing a device which would monitor multiple POTS phone lines and pass call status information to a PC (including on/off hook, DTMF digits dialed, and CID among other things) I asked why it could not also give me CWID data. They explained it had to do with patents on the CWID method (which is different than CID) and only the phone/device which was on the call (that is, off hook and engaged in the voice conversation) was allowed to pick up the CWID signal.

That may have changed, as I think that was over a decade ago.

But my point is that supporting CID and CWID are two different beasts. And as already pointed out, it isn't that ooma is opting to not support CWID. For some people it works reliably; for others not at all or intermittently. As also pointed out, that also explains the lack of a date scheduled for it to work. It isn't like this is a new feature than just hasn't made it to the top of the priority list. It is an existing feature which does not work right, but only for some customers. Those are much harder to debug.
#59821 by asterix4
Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:19 am
@doug - I beg to differ. If you look at any VOIP service provider, starting from the big ones like Vonage to any small time operators, you will find that all of them offer CW CID. In today's VOIP offerings, CW CID is considered (more or less) a basic and a must have feature. Technology differences have bridged in last few years and frankly an end customer does not care about them. If an end customer is used to receiving CW CID as a service from a typical VOIP provider, well, it is then reasonable to expect the same from OOMA, isn't it ?? Sorry got to rush, cannt write more right now..
#59843 by Leeway
Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:20 am
asterix4 wrote:Absolutely I agree. OOMA support needs to provide a date by which they will roll out CW CID.
In addition, if you do not pick up the waiting call, no record is kept by the OOMA Telo, i.e. you won't be able to log in and look up your call history to find the caller id of the missed call.

I can !! I have the Panasonic Dect phones. If I get a CW beep and I do not pick it up, I can go look in my log and it is there.

I have my Panasonic answering set to 4 rings and my Ooma answering set to 6 rings. That might make the difference. Obviously, I am on the phone so I get multiple clicks and then it goes on to the Ooma system and into my log. Even if the caller doesn't leave a message, the call is logged.

Donna
#59994 by pstousland
Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:51 pm
Yes - I get the beep when I'm on a call but don't know who's calling - so if i can't tell who's calling I'm not going to answer the call if I don't know who it is. What is the point of having call waiting if you don't know who it is? Not acceptable for me. definitely a flaw.
Paul
#60056 by BlueiPhone
Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:26 am
My Panasonic KX-TG6434 stopped working again on July 14th. I was not getting a "OOMA Dial Tone". This has been happening alot lately and I would just reboot the whole system, Phone and OOMA. It would start to work again. I assumed it was the phone. :cry:

I went over to Sam's Club and purchased a Uniden 1580 handset/phone set. I connected this phone to my OOMA and tested the CID & CWCID and it does show the CID & CWCID, where my Panasonic KX-TG6434 did not. I am not happy with the 1580, it does not have a jack for a headset, which I use the headset alot. So I am not done with my search for a phone that will display CWCID with OOMA and has a headset jack.

I returned the Uniden 1580 back to Sam's and picked up another Panasonic KX-TG6545. I was hoping this would fix the problem and maybe CWCID would work with this newer model Panasonic phone. I was wrong. I installed this new Panasonic phone system and later in the day the problem returned with NO "OOMA Dial Tone". My problem was not the phone but with the OOMA.

The OOMA telo was "Blue" and synced. I could receive calls but would not ring the phone. Callers could leave a voice mail on the OOMA system.

I called OOMA on July 16, 2010 @ 6:30 PM ESDT and spoke with "JP" in their tech support. The OOMA unit was malfunctioning when I called from my cell phone. He looked at my settings and asked if I needed "Call forwarding" turned on. I said "NO" and he turned it off. He put me on "Hold" for a long time. I asked him what was wrong and what did he change? He said he only "unchecked" the "Call Forwarding". He then asked me to unplug the OOMA and we waited about 5 minutes and then plugged it back in. The unit booted and re-synced correctly to OOMA Blue. He then had me hold down the antenna icon on the upper right corner of the OOMA until it started to flash. He told me this would sync my wireless phones to the OOMA unit. I explained to him I did not have any OOMA handsets. He just explained that the icon will stop flashing in about 5 minutes and it did stop in about 5 minutes. He asked me to test the unit, call out and receive calls. He would call me back in 30 minutes, but I did not hear from him. :|

July 17, 2010 8 am ESDT
The OOMA unit is still up and running. I have removed the new Panasonic KX-TG6545 and will return it back to Sams Club. I have reinstalled the Panasonic KX-TG6434 handsets, since they were not the problem.

Lessons learned:
1. Panasonic phones will display CID but NOT CWCID. I have tested with with the KX-TG6434 and the current model KX-TG6545.
2. Uniden phones will display the CID & CWID. I have tested with with the 1580 handset, but it does not have a jack for a headset.
3. When I have problems with the phone system calling OOMA should be my first step.
4. I wish that OOMA would correct the CWCID problem and I could use my current handset and stop looking/testing.

Questions:
1. I need a handset that has a phone jack for a headset. OOMA handset do not have a jack for a headset so that is out. Uniden 1580 does not have a jack. What other handset that does work with CWCID has a jack for a headset?
2. I called and spoke with a support person at Uniden and they said the model 2080 and 3080 have a phone jack. Anyone have one of these models? Does CID & CWCID work with these models?
3. I would be great if OOMA would construct a table that shows what phones they support and with each options or what phones they do not support with each options.

My wife is ready to throw out the OOMA unit and me with it. Please get this CWCID fixed ASAP. :cry:

Thank you for your support.
Last edited by BlueiPhone on Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
#60064 by asterix4
Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:44 am
@BlueiPhone - I'm in the same boat as you.
I've been trying to get a response from OOMA support on CW CID for a while now. My number just ported over to OOMA, now I'm considering switching back to Time Warner's Digital phone, on which all feature worked just as expected, I could call up customer support and get the issues corrected, and it had a battery back for power blackouts. In general, I'm happy with the quality offered by OOMA, and I'm going to try out may be for another few weeks. If I do not get a clear answer on CW CID, and if I keep reading about support experiences as yours, I would switch back.
#60075 by BlueiPhone
Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:27 pm
asterix4 wrote:@BlueiPhone - I'm in the same boat as you.
I've been trying to get a response from OOMA support on CW CID for a while now. My number just ported over to OOMA, now I'm considering switching back to Time Warner's Digital phone, on which all feature worked just as expected, I could call up customer support and get the issues corrected, and it had a battery back for power blackouts. In general, I'm happy with the quality offered by OOMA, and I'm going to try out may be for another few weeks. If I do not get a clear answer on CW CID, and if I keep reading about support experiences as yours, I would switch back.

I do understand ... This is a feature that needs to be standard and working... it has been promised for a long time...

I have to deal with my spouse and she is not very happy with OOMA and their promises either...

I hope it works out for you.. :)

BlueiPhone...