This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#59127 by BCam
Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:12 am
Is anyone else having quality issues with Comcast in Elk Grove, CA? If so, are other ISPs doing a better job? I've been having continual call quality issues and my last contact with Ooma support indicated that jitter was probably the issue It varies from acceptable to unacceptable levels from minute to minute (2.7 ms to 5.5 ms to 9.0 ms to 27 ms and back down again). My upload/download speeds also vary significantly from day to day and hour to hour. The other day my download speed was below 500 kbps, today it's running 9 - 10 mbps My internet provider is Comcast and, when I called them today, the technician didn't even know what jitter was. I told her to get me to someone who did. She put me on hold and returned only a few minutes later to tell me that she'd talked to her supervisor who told her that 1) "jitter" was a term that Comcast preferred not to use and 2) "jitter" was not a term that was commonly used in the technical community.

Comcast will be sending a tech out on Monday to check my signal strength based on their assessment that jitter, the term they don't recognize, can be caused by either a too low or too high level. If they determine that it's not their problem, they will charge for the service call. I told them to go ahead and send the service tech but, if I'm dissatisfied, they're losing a customer.
#59259 by BCam
Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:33 am
The Comcast tech came today and removed two filters at the street connection that he said were no longer needed since Comcast's upgrade and which would definitely interfere with my internet connection. Things seem to be much better but we'll see how things go over time. He knew exactly what the problem was as soon as he hooked his test device to my modem.

So much for Comcast's online techs testing my connection over and over again and telling me that everything looks OK. Why Comcast wouldn't have had someone remove these filters as soon as they were known to be problematic is beyond me. I got the impression that the tech who came out suspected what was causing the problem before he even checked anything. He's probably removed hundreds.

He's also going to put in an order to re-do the cable run to my house which is buried without conduit.
#59262 by dsinternet
Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:07 am
Thanks for the update. I have the filter on my cable and my Internet works fine. I wonder if someone will be out to take it off since it is no longer needed. Maybe my Internet speed will go up.
#59280 by tommies
Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:20 pm
BCam wrote:He's also going to put in an order to re-do the cable run to my house which is buried without conduit.

Making sure they use the RG-11 for the new buried cable. It's a sturdy big, bright orange cable.
#59281 by BCam
Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:26 pm
tommies wrote:Making sure they use the RG-11 for the new buried cable. It's a sturdy big, bright orange cable.

The new cable will be in conduit.
#59288 by oom101
Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:25 pm
It has been my experience that having QOS set to a non 0 causes major PC slowdown when I'm on an OOMA call, and setting a big number can disrupt calls.
While you are trying things, go to setup.ooma.com advanced, and set up and down to 0. Let us know.
#59305 by Davesworld
Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:57 am
oom101 wrote:It has been my experience that having QOS set to a non 0 causes major PC slowdown when I'm on an OOMA call, and setting a big number can disrupt calls.
While you are trying things, go to setup.ooma.com advanced, and set up and down to 0. Let us know.
and try

Well, now we know at least one poor soul has their Ooma betwen the modem and router. Eeek!
#59344 by oom101
Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:51 pm
I don't have a router - don't use but 1 pc at a time, and I want maximum speed (routers can slow you down), but with 0 set for down and up, my speed measures the same on my pc as when I did not have the ooma hub at all.
Another poster agreed but said put the ooma on the router, but set it to 0 up.
#59360 by Davesworld
Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:17 pm
oom101 wrote:I don't have a router - don't use but 1 pc at a time, and I want maximum speed (routers can slow you down), but with 0 set for down and up, my speed measures the same on my pc as when I did not have the ooma hub at all.
Another poster agreed but said put the ooma on the router, but set it to 0 up.

By passing all traffic through ooma you are passing traffic through it,s built in router so you are not gaining anything. Routers only slow you down if they do not have enough power. The ooma device is acting as a router and an ata with one cpu. Not a great way to go.
#59378 by oom101
Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:31 pm
My repeated speed tests indicate 30m down and 1.9 up with the ooma hub on hook (no call in progress), which is at full speed, now that I set QOS to 0 and 0. It also gets almost that down when I'm on a call, but on the upload side of the test as it hits 1.8 when I am leaving a message to test voice on a cell voicemail, after about 6 seconds of max upload test, voice gets choppy, and upload slows to 1M, but this is fine with me since even my ibackup "cloud" backup does not take the full 2m up, anyway. If you are a heavy up transferrer or on adsl, it might be a problem. I'm on Brighthouse cable MAX Turbo,
which does degrade during heavy user traffic. I'm looking into getting Uverse MAX Plus, I believe they call it. 3M up.
It is a modem/wireless router combo, so I will have to plug the ooma into it, of course.

Since I have no interest in a router at this time, it was a deciding factor that the ooma core had it's own router/pass through, that I even bought it. I.E. You don't need a router to use an ooma system.

I have a new Telo onsite (love American Express Return Protection on Clear, Blue and Gold cards), and can return the hub and/or Telo to AMEXPRESS within 90 days, just paying return shipping.