This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#65421 by murphy
Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:33 am
lbmofo wrote:Not sure why calls are dropping after 15 minutes but using built in MAC address for modem port would optimize your ooma setup and the other couple of things would check to see the health of your internet service.

Make sure that the DSL modem is configured for always on. Many default to disconnect when not in use. I don't know what they monitor to determine busy but I doubt the Ooma tunnel is on the list.
#65427 by dingdong
Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:17 am
when in doubt try a factory reset procedure. (search the forum)
i was having problems with dropped calls too. the telo would switch to line 2 in the middle of the call and the dial tone would come on... if the person on the other line wouldn't hang up i could switch back to them by hanging up on line 2...intermittent flashing pink? light, flashing page button, sheesh! of course the help line was of no assistance(go to speedtest, go to ping test, blah blah blah).
i think that i fiddled so much with the thing that i screwed it up! after factory reset...it just worked. plain and simple.
i dunno, worth a try right?
#65734 by osuna92
Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:47 pm
After surveying the internet, it seems that every major (and minor) player except OOMA (including Skype and Google) have acknowledged and fixed this 15 minute cut-off/dropped calls issue. Something to do with UDPTL.

As with the others' previous issue, only occurs on outgoing calls. Incoming call are continuous (no interruption.)

When is Ooma going to come out with the same solution?

Jitter: 0.5ms, .4% packet loss (computer linked in behind OOMA)
QOS 96%
Round trip 109ms
Max delay 132ms
TCP max route speed 4.8 Mbps
TCP forced idle 0
Route concurrency 2.6
#65735 by southsound
Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:11 pm
osuna92 wrote:After surveying the internet, it seems that every major (and minor) player except OOMA (including Skype and Google) have acknowledged and fixed this 15 minute cut-off/dropped calls issue. Something to do with UDPTL.

As with the others' previous issue, only occurs on outgoing calls. Incoming call are continuous (no interruption.)

When is Ooma going to come out with the same solution?

I have had ooma since February of 2009. First I had the hub/scout core package - then I added the Telo in the August timeframe. Earlier this year I decided to retire the hub/scout because we had more lines and numbers than we needed. In all that time, I have never had a problem with incoming or outgoing calls dropping at 15 minutes or any other predetermined time. I also use naked Google Voice as a front end for my Telo and cell phones. Earlier this year they had a problem with call drops at 15 mintues - but that had nothing to do with ooma and they fixed it in about 5 days. For someone to blindly assume that ooma is dropping calls for most users is a pretty strong assumption - and totally wrong. There may be some who have a problem for a variety of reasons - and I'm not saying that ooma is never at fault - but since most of us have not had that problem, please reign in your assumptions and replace them with facts - like your own limited personal experience.
#65744 by osuna92
Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:15 am
Look. Reign in your enthusiasm. What are you, a stockholder? If so, listen:

I just want a solution like all of the other newbies whose calls are getting dropped.
Lots of disgruntled users bodes poorly for Ooma's future, especially as they do not respond to issues by email, or even acknowledge the receipt.

Goodbye.
#66101 by fazworld
Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:35 am
As much as I want to say that I never have problems with Ooma, I can't say that. On very rare occassions, maybe 3 times out of the past 3 months, my calls suddenly get disconnected after some time (I can't recall a specific call duration or whether it was incoming or outgoing). I could live with that but my wife claims it happens all the time (she uses the phone a lot more than I) so I'm always arguing about the merits of Oooma vs. the few disadvantages.... although dropping calls is a big one. I never had this problem with Vonage and believe me, I would have heard about it from her if there was an issue. So I think there is a problem somewhere and need to make a call to customer support... but can they really offer any suggestions if there's an inherent firmware or system problem?? Don't know if I want to waste my time....
#66107 by osuna92
Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:21 pm
I don't think it is an inherent flaw. As I've mentioned, multiple other services have had the exact same issue and fixed it. That includes Comcast when I had their integrated VoIP service. A technical support person was able to change a setting that eliminated the problem, only to have it crop up again months later when a switch, router, or my modem/router got updated or rebooted. Had to call in again and have the same thing done.