This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#78597 by thunderbird
Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:17 pm
Bobby B wrote:It looks bug 10130 hasn't been deployed to the field yet - I'm not sure when it'll deployed as the current server release is dependent on several other bug fixes. We do have a temporary workaround which is to use the high-bandwidth codec. Customer support can set this parameter for you.

The downside of using the high bandwidth codec is:
- It takes up 3x the bandwidth (~90 Kbps) as the standard codec (~30 Kbps)
- PureVoice packet redundancy is disabled
#81502 by I_Ooma_2
Mon May 16, 2011 7:01 am
I had experienced this only a couple times when I first got my Telo, but I was on the phone with the doctor's office today and this happened repeatedly almost every time the woman on the other end spoke. I had the impression that in this case only I would hear it, but she heard it as well. It beeped probably about 30 times within the short 2 minute conversation.

She apologized over and over and I just played dumb. I didn't really know how to explain it to her anyway.

I just figured I'd throw this out here to let Ooma know that there are still problems related to this.
#82169 by thunderbird
Wed May 25, 2011 11:04 am
The sounds that you hear are called DTMF tones.

I used to have the tones, and someone on the forum suggested using a Radio Shack snap on filter, so bought one and tried it. Some others tried the filter and it made their situation worse.

For me it actually worked very well until the next Ooma Telo firmware update. Than the tones were worse and I removed the filter.

I still have some tones, but not many, just when talking to a person with certain voice tone levels. Also it seems like its worse when talking to a company that has a telephone answering system.

If you have one lying around, you might try connecting a DSL filter, even if you don't have DSL, in the phone line from the Ooma Telo, to the phone system, for testing purposes.

If you do use the DSL filter, let us know either way if it works or don't work.
#82171 by southsound
Wed May 25, 2011 11:21 am
I have a friend who constantly talks about the spurious tones. I use (naked) Google Voice as a front end so I just transfered the forwarding to my landline to make him happy. I was somewhat shocked to find that it was Google Voice and NOT my ooma Telo that was causing the problem. When he calls directly to my ooma number, no problem. If he uses my GV number it happens regardless of forwarding to ooma, landline, or cell numbers. If you are using GV, it might be interesting to check to see if that is the source of your problem. It was for me.
#82180 by brc1981
Wed May 25, 2011 12:07 pm
thunderbird wrote:The sounds that you hear are called DTMF tones.

I used to have the tones, and someone on the forum suggested using a Radio Shack snap on filter, so bought one and tried it. Some others tried the filter and it made their situation worse.

For me it actually worked very well until the next Ooma Telo firmware update. Than the tones were worse and I removed the filter.

I still have some tones, but not many, just when talking to a person with certain voice tone levels. Also it seems like its worse when talking to a company that has a telephone answering system.

If you have one lying around, you might try connecting a DSL filter, even if you don't have DSL, in the phone line from the Ooma Telo, to the phone system, for testing purposes.

If you do use the DSL filter, let us know either way if it works or don't work.

I did have a DSL filter lying around, so I've connected one to see if that helps.
#83489 by rworthington
Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:04 pm
This problem is STILL not fixed (more than a year after being reported). I have gone through the ferrite filter, DSL filter and reset of my Telo (after Ooma said they adjusted it). Unfortunately all to no avail. The problem is indeed worse with people with a higher pitched voice.

I am using exactly the same setup as when I had Vonage (for four years) and even though that is a VoIP system I did not experience this problem. I also have MagicJack and a Skype VoIP phone and neither of them have such a problem. Nor does my Google Voice number. So Ooma, you have produced a good product except for this one design flaw.