This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#70408 by Davesworld
Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:24 am
matthewn wrote:Has anyone reported this to customer service and they were able to resolve it? I opened a ticket for this asking that my DTMF be switched to Inband to resolve it and it was submitted to the "technical team", but they have not addressed it yet. I've used many VOIP providers and switching to Inband DTMF always has resolved this problem for me when it occurs.

Yes but this only works with g.711 reliably. Lossier and more compressed codecs such as iLBC may not produce such good results. It is not in band by default for this very reason.
#70409 by Davesworld
Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:32 am
wristwatch wrote:Sounds like there is not much Ooma customers can do about this on their end. Just wanted to add that one of the people we call have also reported hearing an occasional 'beeps' during conversations and we are using Ooma Premiere phone service with the Ooma Telo. So far it seems isolated to one phone number that we call to that is a cellular phone, maybe this will change the more we use the service and the more phone numbers we call.

Premier has nothing to do with this and with proprietary equipment there is absolutely nothing you can do on your end to fix it. To the advanced voip user it is akin to buying a car with the engine sealed to where you cannot even see it much less work on it. To the average user, it is supposed to work without any fiddling.

The cellular industry got around this very problem by simply having tones only operate at a specific amount of time since using in band would be nearly impossible with the compressed codecs used. Any other length of tone is ignored. This is also why you cannot hear the touchtones while using a cell. Anyone remember their analog cell where tones could be heard?
#70410 by Davesworld
Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:05 am
Shawn wrote:
matthewn wrote:Has anyone reported this to customer service and they were able to resolve it? I opened a ticket for this asking that my DTMF be switched to Inband to resolve it and it was submitted to the "technical team", but they have not addressed it yet. I've used many VOIP providers and switching to Inband DTMF always has resolved this problem for me when it occurs.

1) What is inband DTMF
2) Can you do "press 1 if yes and press 2 if no" after the switch?

Tones are produced within the audio band but this only works well with g.711 and is not THE answer, asking the Ooma technical team to casually change it without disabling iLBC could produce some poor results as well. You absolutely cannot set this yourself with an Ooma ATA.

In band versus out of band is far too simplistic of a comparison. There are at least four types of out of band parameters and even in band can be of more than one dynamic payload type.
#70473 by matthewn
Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:35 pm
Davesworld wrote:Yes but this only works with g.711 reliably. Lossier and more compressed codecs such as iLBC may not produce such good results. It is not in band by default for this very reason.

Did not know that Ooma was using iLBC, I thought they were using the g711 codec. My ticket has been open for a few weeks now, it will be interesting to see if they actually switch me to Inband and if so what affect that will have.
#70593 by Shawn
Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:28 am
I don't know how long I had this DMTF talkoff, I was told by one person a week ago about the hitting keypad problem during a phone conversation. Since then the compliant had been non stop by other people I talked to. A quick scan on this thread, it was opened in May this year which was more than half a year ago. There seemed to be no fixes and there was no one from the Ooma camp step up and made any statements. Meanwhile there were a lot effort (my impression) on pure voice, HD voice, iPhone and Android apps and so on. To me, I did not notice much benefit from pure voice and HD voice. I don't own iPhone or Android phones either. If you have DTMF talkoff issues, whateven voice quality gain from pure voice and HD voice really meant nothing. I would really like to see someone from Ooma break their silence and start addressing this problem.
#70738 by ajw522
Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:36 pm
I experience this problem quite a bit, and I am a male talking to a male friend of mine. He and I both constantly have this DTMF issue when having a conversation.

And if it means anything, we're both talking Ooma Telo Handset to Ooma Telo Handset.
#72432 by oki
Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:51 am
I am also experiencing the same keypad press sound/tone issue when making call using the Ooma Telo unit. Callers started commenting on hearing the keypad tone during calls shortly after I started using Ooma. I work from home and spend several hours on the phone each day. The problem is sporadic, but frequent enough to annoy my work colleagues.

I was using Vonage for the past 3 years and never experienced similar issues. I am going to keep Vonage as my primary home phone service. Since I already paid for the Ooma Telo unit, all I can do it keep it as a second line and hope that the problem is fixed. Needless to say, I am very disappointed with Ooma.
#72447 by thunderbird
Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:30 pm
Kaplah: Has said to use a Radio Shack Snap-on Ferrite Data-Line Filter part number 273-0105, snapped around the phone wire that comes out of the Ooma device phone port, to filter out “noise”.

We were experiencing the phone key pad noise, so I ran right down to Radio Shack, bought, (for about five dollars), than installed the filter. All of our calls seemed clearer and we haven’t heard the phone key sound even once since.

But it's only been around two weeks, so it’s not a very valid test yet. I was wondering if anyone else has tried the filter. If you have tried the filter, please report your findings.
#72451 by thunderbird
Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:38 pm
lbmofo:
In our case, the "Hitting the Keypad button" sound could be heard both ways, but not at the same time. In other words, I could hear the sound when the other party was talking, and the other party could hear the sound when I were talking.
But since I installed the filter, no one has told us that they hear the sound, and we haven't heard the sound while the other party was talking. But it's still too soon (a little over two weeks) to say this the filter is the fix for everyone. Just some more people that are having this problem, (that have the time, money and like testing), needs to try the filter and see if it works for them. Then report their finding here.