This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#56407 by theo1958
Sat May 22, 2010 7:22 pm
I have had a near perfect experience with OOMA since purchasing the unit 6 weeks ago.... Today, the day after I cut the wire to Verizon I was on the phone OOMA at 10:30PM and about to show off to my friends this new found miracle box and I am embarassed to say in one 45 minute phone call, the call was drop 7 times with numerous period of "deafing silence" for 3-5 seconds during the conversation. Between drops I rebooted everything and ran voip tests, and the numbers were superb (textbook). I was accused of having a Magic Jack.

What could bring on so many drops in such a short time, esp when all my number are good.

Death by embarassment.....
#56408 by sfhub
Sat May 22, 2010 7:35 pm
I'm curious, when you initially configured Ooma was it completely separate from your landline or did you have landline configured as a backup connected to Ooma?
#56409 by theo1958
Sat May 22, 2010 7:37 pm
There was never any connection between the landline and OOMA. The only other thing that change, on that same day, was OOMA added a second number for me.
#56415 by sfhub
Sat May 22, 2010 10:00 pm
There is a connection drop problem that people noticed calling into 1-8xx conference #s, but nobody has mentioned seeing that problem with any other calls. I'm not sure what was causing the problem so i don't know if it applies to your case or whether you are just seeing symptoms that are coincidentally the same.

Ooma is supposed to put in a fix for that problem sometime this week, but if you want to have something to do until then, try running PingPlotter (http://www.pingplotter.com) against vpn.ooma.com and make your phone call again. See if anything interesting happens with the pings when the call drops.
#56424 by lbmofo
Sun May 23, 2010 12:46 am
After the port, you've done a reboot of the ooma device right?

Were you using your old rotary phone through that DTMF converter you bought?

Is Kapersky 2010 Anti-Virus playing devil again? <-- This is a reaching one though.
#56437 by theo1958
Sun May 23, 2010 4:05 am
No, no rotary on this call.... I was using the handset for the Telos. I even switched between handsets just in case one was going bad. Yes, I rebooted EVERYTHING. Kapersky was not in play, as the PC was turned off. I forgot to mention that during the conversations I could hear a garbled male voice, very faint in the background. My theory is that during peak usage hours Comcast "manages" their bandwidth and somehow gives first preference to their phones system. Outside voip companies get bumped until traffic lightens up. Just a thought.
#56441 by sfhub
Sun May 23, 2010 6:06 am
If you heard garbled voice, then there could be data packet problem.

Run the pingplotter test above and see if anything shows up.
#56487 by theo1958
Mon May 24, 2010 9:44 am
OOMA may be retired shortly. Since my original post, every evening is plagued with a degraded quality of phone service. Last night, no drops, but echoes of my own voice... BTW if I decide to return the Telos to Best Buy... I'll be posting 5 handset on ebay.
#56490 by Tiger5353
Mon May 24, 2010 10:11 am
theo1958 wrote:Between drops I rebooted everything and ran voip tests, and the numbers were superb (textbook). I was accused of having a Magic Jack.

What could bring on so many drops in such a short time, esp when all my number are good.

Death by embarassment.....

theo1958 you say you ran the voip test and it was good. What were they? The 4 main network parameters that affect VoIP traffic are: Bandwidth, Delay, Packet Loss, and Jitter. You may already know all of this but it's been my experience that it never hurts to make sure. Also how do you have the Telo, connected in your network. modem > telo > router or modem > router > telo?

If its modem > router > telo then do you have the QoS settings on your router set and if so to what?

theo1958 wrote:I forgot to mention that during the conversations I could hear a garbled male voice, very faint in the background.

Now that is very interesting. I have heard of this on old POTS lines but VoIP doesn't have bleed over, its packets of data. The only way i can think of this happening is at the server itself which would mean that its ooma's carriers or there end points that are causing the problem. In which case i would be calling ooma if it continues.

If this is a carrier of ooma's that's causing the problem they can't get it fixed until some one tell's them about it or they find it on there own.

theo1958 wrote:My theory is that during peak usage hours Comcast "manages" their bandwidth and somehow gives first preference to their phones system. Outside voip companies get bumped until traffic lightens up. Just a thought.

If this were true the delay would be high probably over 400ms one way.

Just trying to help :)
#56494 by sfhub
Mon May 24, 2010 10:31 am
theo1958 wrote:I could hear a garbled male voice, very faint in the background.

You heard a garbled voice as in crosstalk from another conversation or the person you were speaking with came through garbled?

I think you should at least take a shot at seeing if there is anything interesting going on with your data connection when the calls drop or echo. Waiting for an Ooma fix for dropped 8xx conf calls (which might or might not be related to your problem) might conflict with some return policy period, though after 6-weeks it seems BB would only give you store credit, so waiting a little longer to see what happens with the fix might not negatively affect your return outcomes.