This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#55029 by k1rod
Sat May 08, 2010 12:25 pm
If anyone can give me some insight into this, I would greatly appreciate it. I have tried 2 different VOIP services, magic jack and OOMA. Neither work. For the most part, I can hear people but they can't hear me. I have Cox Cable Premere service. I have run all of the connection tests but I get wildly different results depending on what site I am using for the test.

For example one site "Whichvoip.com" give the following results:
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 3.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.6 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 11506064 bps
Upload speed: 1911608 bps
Download quality of service: 75 %
Upload quality of service: 97 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 22 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 26 ms
Average round trip time to server: 625 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 14400000bps
Route concurrency: 1.251514
Download TCP forced idle: 94 %
Maximum route speed: 20164608bps

I have run this test several times on this site and these results are typical.

Now If I go to Pingtest.net and select the closest server, I consistently get a jitter value of between 6ms and 12ms. Worse I get packet loss values of 59%. Every time! It sends out 250 packets but says its only receiving 104 back. If I select a more distant server those numbers only get worse.

Cox sent out a technician and they are telling me my internet connection is just fine. OOMA is telling me my internet connection is bad.

How do I resolve this? Thanks.
#55031 by murphy
Sat May 08, 2010 12:33 pm
You should not be losing any packets.
Connect your computer directly to your cable modem and rerun the test. Power cycling of the modem will be required.
#55032 by k1rod
Sat May 08, 2010 12:40 pm
I can't. My modem/router is a Motorola Surfboard SBG901 integrated unit. I can only connect through the router. I am using a wired port and not the wireless however.

Why would I be losing packets to one site big time and consistently yet to another site I have zero packet loss consistently? It almost seems like the 59% packet loss I am seeing on pingtest.net isn't real.
#55048 by Soundjudgment
Sat May 08, 2010 5:49 pm
"" Now If I go to Pingtest.net and select the closest server, I consistently get a jitter value of between 6ms and 12ms. Worse I get packet loss values of 59%. Every time! It sends out 250 packets but says its only receiving 104 back. If I select a more distant server those numbers only get worse.

Cox sent out a technician and they are telling me my internet connection is just fine. OOMA is telling me my internet connection is bad. ""

PingTest is confirming just what Ooma's own test is stating: Your Internet connection is having a quality-problem issue(s). If it is plainly stating that you are only getting less than half the packets received, and you have up to 12 ms of jitter, I would accept that over anything COX is claiming.
#55058 by k1rod
Sat May 08, 2010 9:27 pm
How come if I go to whichvoip.com, I get awesome ping, jitter and packet loss results? Is this not a valid test sight? Cox will point me to this one and two or three more like it that all show great performance of my internet connection... Always...

I'm trying to get to the core of my question... Why do some test sites show consistently great results and others show consistently poor results? I don't understand enough about how the internet is wired together to make sense of this. Until I can resolve this, I can't stare down either OOMA or Cox Cable and definitively state, "It's your problem. Fix it!"
#55061 by sfhub
Sat May 08, 2010 11:46 pm
The path that your data takes to the test servers could be different in each case.

If you are seeing packet loss in one case but not the other, it could be that something specific to that path is causing issues. It could be that the different tests use different methods to measure the loss and the problem only shows up with one of the tests. There could be many explanations.

Your voiptest avg round trip time to server seems quite high and way different than the minimum. To me that indicates your connection is not giving you consistent latency.
#55245 by k1rod
Mon May 10, 2010 7:43 pm
OK, I am all fixed now. Here's what I had to do. I had to lie to the Ooma tech support guy who answered my call to get him to deviate from his flowchart driven script. Ooma kept directing me to a website that showed I had terrible internet service. I could go to several other sites that showed I had great service. My ISP sent a technician out and said my service was fine. So.., in frustration, I got back on the phone with the Ooma guy. If I went to the test sight he wanted me to go to, I would have reported bad numbers and the Ooma tech support guy would not have gone any further in troubleshooting this problem. He would have been like.."Come back and see us when your internet is fixed". I know because I went through this cycle four times. So instead, I reported to him the good numbers from the site I trust. OK, once he was satisfied with the internet numbers I reported, we could go on to more serious troubleshooting. He next had me reboot my Ooma device and once the Ooma logo was flashing red, hold the trash can button and the stop button symultaneously, until the Ooma loga was either solid red or solid blue. Mine turned solid blue. He told me this would reload the firmware in the Ooma device. Apparently it did because I have gone from a 100% unuseable connection to a rock solid, telco quality audio connection. I am on day 3 now. It's interesting that Ooma tech support can drive you down a dead end that is very difficult to resolve if your problem doesn't quite fit their flowchart.
#55374 by Soundjudgment
Wed May 12, 2010 1:56 pm
Another free 'tool' to add to your troubleshooting arsenal, would be the old PING Test standard:

http://www.pingplotter.com

Download their Free version of the PingPlotter program. It's located at the VERY bottom of their Download Page (there are stronger versions offered for a small price). Then plug in any public IP server address or Domain name. You'll get to see the scan in real-time SHOWING you graphically each 'hop' of a particular IP router-journey as it is happening, starting from your computer all the way down to the far end. Sometimes this will show you a router-hop performance drop from a failing or intermittent router (on a backbone or ISP you are passing through) and it will give you another indication of your overall service latency or Internet performance. As a bonus, you get to see what 'backbone' your ISP favors for many long-distance routes, again in real-time.