This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#55025 by dasman
Sat May 08, 2010 11:14 am
Everything I have seen on-site has related to Upload QoS, but I have a low Download QoS -- is this a critical item and are there any tricks to improve it? My testing is below:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 5.1 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.2 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.8

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 7267568 bps
Upload speed: 395944 bps
Download quality of service: 45 %
Upload quality of service: 98 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 89 ms
Average download pause: 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 55 ms
Average round trip time to server: 59 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 28000000bps
Route concurrency: 3.8527331
Download TCP forced idle: 69 %
Maximum route speed: 9532360bps

Thanks,

dave
#55051 by DTMF
Sat May 08, 2010 5:57 pm
Download QoS tends to be less of an issue because there is usually so much more download bandwidth available than is needed for VoIP.

45% of your full download bandwidth should still be plenty for VoIP. Even if your connection is 3 Mbps DSL, 45% available bandwidth still leaves over 1 Mbps for VoIP.

Still, if those were my results, I'd be wondering what my bandwidth was doing. Was someone in the house watching/downloading a movie at the time?
#55071 by dasman
Sun May 09, 2010 7:11 am
Nothing else running over the internet that I know of, but this is cable internet (Roadrunner), so I suppose the other people in the neighborhood could be affecting me...

Thanks for the answer

dave
#55078 by JasonV
Sun May 09, 2010 10:36 am
I wouldn't be concerned. I think there is something wrong with that site. Here is my concern I raised a few days ago.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7816

Try some other sites for your testing.
#55181 by Aveamantium
Mon May 10, 2010 11:20 am
Don't let it concern you... Qos at that site measures bandwidth consistency so let's say at the beginning of the test you are getting 5Mbps and by the end of the test it goes down to 4Mbps, from these results the site will give you a terrible Qos Score. However, 4Mbps is way more than enough for the iLBC codec which only uses about 40 Kbps in either direction. In other words focus on the jitter, packet loss and delay results and you'll be fine.