This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#54429 by turtlebud
Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:22 pm
I used to consistently get 5Mbps download when I tested using speedtest.net

I've been having issues with people complaining about how choppy my voice was when I called them, so I decided to try and change my setup so that the ooma is between the modem & the router. (I think originally I set it up with the modem->router->ooma because I got better download speeds this way).

So, the voice quality seems to be much better now, but now I get a max of 2.5Mbps down. Is ooma the culprit? Is there anything I can do to fix the problem?

Thanks.
#54439 by Yoda
Sat May 01, 2010 5:44 am
I personally choose to place my ooma equipment behind/after my router due to my speed being hindered when it was being placed directly after the modem.

What the key here is for quality voice is to have a router that incoporates some form of "QOS" (quality of service) aka packet or port prioritization. Basically, if you have a QOS enabled router, you can set up rules by port or packet type so that it gives priority to the ooma when in use which results in a crystal clear conversation. The router, by reserving a particular amount of bandwidth during calls for the devices use (in this case ooma), allows for clear consistant call quality in both directions.

When the ooma is not in use, the router allows all bandwith to be used by anything in your network without limiting the speed/throughput.

You should see a significant gain in speed during both ooma idle and operational times from your current setup with a new QOS enabled router. Persoanlly I use the D-Link DGL-4500; however there are several on the market that should be able to suit your needs.