This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#52294 by Chiledawg
Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:31 am
I received my Ooma on Friday, April 2. Setup was easy and the service worked well for the three calls I made. However, the next day call quality was so bad I couldn't use the Ooma. Did a lot of troubleshooting, speed and jitter testing, etc. Jitter would fluctuate between 4ms and nearly 65ms. My ISP (Mediacom) recently upgraded the local download speeds to 12Mbps from 6Mbps. However, I was still only getting about 6Mbps. So this morning I took my very old cable modem (RCA) in and swapped it for a brand new Cisco modem. Hooked it up and everything is copacetic. Call quality is nearly perfect and jitter is testing at a steady 1ms to 2ms. So, if your situation is similar with an old cable modem, get a new one and see what happens. BTW, my upload speed has improved a little, from about 650 to 750kbps to about 950kbps. Also, I have not configured QoS at all.
#52439 by amoney
Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:48 pm
There have been many similar threads, you would never know untill you swap the modem out. So the lesson learned is if you exhaust all other torubleshooting, sucpect bad modem (given certain network performance issues).

The funny thing is you would never know under normal web browsing and download, but becuase of the unique nature of VOIP packects, VOIP is very suceptable to packect loss, where as regualar web traffic can relie upon resending packets to compensate.