This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#51678 by shann039
Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:46 pm
We've had our Hub for about a month. Everything seems to be going well except that we've recently noticed that when our kids are making noise in the background (playing, rolling things like toy shopping carts), it produces static for people we're talking to on the other end--pretty noticeable. Is this a known issue? Anyone else dealt with this? It's a little frustrating, but maybe not a deal breaker.
#51688 by Aveamantium
Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:47 pm
If you're using the scout with the hub the scratchy sound on the non-telo side of the call is a "known" issue (many of us have experienced it). Try connecting a phone directly to the PHONE port of the hub to see if the issue goes away. If you have a Telo, please ignore this response.
#51815 by southsound
Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:48 am
shann039 wrote:We've had our Hub for about a month. Everything seems to be going well except that we've recently noticed that when our kids are making noise in the background (playing, rolling things like toy shopping carts), it produces static for people we're talking to on the other end--pretty noticeable. Is this a known issue? Anyone else dealt with this? It's a little frustrating, but maybe not a deal breaker.

Just a guess here - sometimes people find that the ooma systems are a little more sensitive than their previous landline. (Others report the exact oposite.) I don't know how an overdriven signal might sound on the other end, but it might sound like static to some people. From my digital recording experience, when you convert analog signals to digital, overdriving the signal sounds like static. Do all people you call report this static or is it only on specific numbers or areas you call? If it is only some numbers or areas, it might be due to the routing ooma uses to connect your call to the phone network. Keeping a log with dates, times, numbers, incoming/outgoing, problem with the call is a good way to provide customer support with enough facts for them to correct things if it is a problem with routing or one of their partners.

Do you have a different phone you can try on the hub? If possible, a corded one? Maybe you could borrow one from a neighbor if you don't have one yourself. Not all phones are alike. Some of the newer DECT 6.0 systems seem to have a little better noise suppression than the older cordless phones. I'm really fond of my Uniden 5-handset system. Let us know the results of your test with a different phone.
#51927 by shann039
Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:08 pm
That might be it--the background noise just ends up sounding like a block of static, which might be overdrive. We've only had it show up a handful of times thus far--when the kids are being noisy in the background and we notice it or someone else tells us. I can try to keep track, but it seems like it's about how background noise is handled on our end, not the connection itself.

We don't have a corded phone--just a Uniden 5.8. There's another Panasonic cordless we could try as well. But that may be an option to explore as well. I'll repost if there's any notable results from that.

southsound wrote:
shann039 wrote:We've had our Hub for about a month. Everything seems to be going well except that we've recently noticed that when our kids are making noise in the background (playing, rolling things like toy shopping carts), it produces static for people we're talking to on the other end--pretty noticeable. Is this a known issue? Anyone else dealt with this? It's a little frustrating, but maybe not a deal breaker.

Just a guess here - sometimes people find that the ooma systems are a little more sensitive than their previous landline. (Others report the exact oposite.) I don't know how an overdriven signal might sound on the other end, but it might sound like static to some people. From my digital recording experience, when you convert analog signals to digital, overdriving the signal sounds like static. Do all people you call report this static or is it only on specific numbers or areas you call? If it is only some numbers or areas, it might be due to the routing ooma uses to connect your call to the phone network. Keeping a log with dates, times, numbers, incoming/outgoing, problem with the call is a good way to provide customer support with enough facts for them to correct things if it is a problem with routing or one of their partners.

Do you have a different phone you can try on the hub? If possible, a corded one? Maybe you could borrow one from a neighbor if you don't have one yourself. Not all phones are alike. Some of the newer DECT 6.0 systems seem to have a little better noise suppression than the older cordless phones. I'm really fond of my Uniden 5-handset system. Let us know the results of your test with a different phone.