This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#50119 by larrys1
Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:29 pm
Wife is tired of dropped calls, sounding like she is gargling in a fish tank, clicking noises, you name it, she's HAD IT! So now, I gotta crawl back to Qwest with my goddamn tail between my legs. I hate it, but, once again, internet phone service just sux! Sorry Ooma, I thought you might be different. Guess not. C'ya
#50129 by DTMF
Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:46 pm
Maybe it's your ISP's connection that "sux?" VoIP can only be as good as the Internet connection it uses.

Another thought... if your household a big consumer of P2P file-sharing, that might not leave enough bandwidth in the pipe for Ooma to use for calls.
#50143 by swynn97
Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:45 pm
I think the issue is that the average consumer expects to plug the box in and have it work - that's completely reasonable. Almost everybody does not understand jitter/QOS etc. and hence there are many frustrated customers.

My system appears to work, however I've have a commercial grade LAN and am a Cisco engineer... I've had LOTS of problems though, and support tends to abandon customers once the basics have been covered. With no recurring revenue from non-premier customers, that is a big part of the business model I assume.

Anyhow, better support, better diagnostics etc.would really help OOMA.

Simon
#50275 by Trekster
Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:29 pm
Well, I can sympathize somewhat with your problems, because I had two other devices from two other companies and they were definitely devices that were NOT ready for "prime time". Neither one of them could be considered a viable replacement for your previous land line from Quest. The first one was the MagicJack, and the second one was the NetTalk TK6000. The NetTalk device might someday get their act together and provide a decent product, but right now it has too many problems and last I knew there was no Voice Mail. Basically, I believe they rushed their product to the market place before it was thoroughly tested, and now the customers are having to Beta test it for them.

I've only had the Ooma for a short time, but so far my experience with it has been very positive, in that the Features all seem to work well, the device appears to be well designed, and most of all the Quality of my calls is excellent; I would say hard to tell I'm not talking over my old land line. Of course I do have the new Telo base unit and my ISP is giving me a download speed of just under 12 mbs and an upload of just under 1 mbs.

The biggest issue I have with Ooma, is I was not able to get a local number. They "supposedly" are getting me a local number, but it has been delayed more than once, so I will believe it when I see it.

The only other weak part of Ooma is their Tech Support and the inability to answer Emails in a timely fashion. Hopefully they will get that improved in the not too distant future.
#50366 by xtinknocker
Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:31 pm
My hub was working great since I hooked it up in December. Picked a new number and was calling in 15 minutes. These past 2 weeks I'm inundated with wrong numbers. 6 to 8 a day. Three days ago my outgoing calls started causing an echo so loud that i can't here the other person talk if they say something while I'm talking, and hearing my voice a few milliseconds after I say something is driving me crazy. Been reading a lot of info. on the subject here, but can't find any solutions that work. Guess I'll have th call Ooma Monday to see if they can do something.
#55508 by lbmofo
Thu May 13, 2010 10:09 pm
Trekster wrote:The biggest issue I have with Ooma, is I was not able to get a local number. They "supposedly" are getting me a local number, but it has been delayed more than once, so I will believe it when I see it.

Have you gotten a local number yet? If not, look here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7850
#55513 by Trekster
Fri May 14, 2010 5:22 am
lbmofo wrote:
Trekster wrote:The biggest issue I have with Ooma, is I was not able to get a local number. They "supposedly" are getting me a local number, but it has been delayed more than once, so I will believe it when I see it.

Have you gotten a local number yet? If not, look here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7850

Yes, eventually Ooma did in fact secure a local number for me. It took, I believe, about 3 weeks and several phone calls to them; but finally I was provided with a local number so my local friends and relatives would not have to contact me via LD.

I've had my Ooma Telo since about late October of 2009 and have been VERY satisfied with the service, the quality of the calls and everything about the system - especially the PRICE! No more monthly phone bills from Qwest, with their constant little quarter and dollar increases each and every year. Plus, I have a lot more features with Ooma, which I could not afford to have from the previous provider.

Incidentally, I did notice that when I got my local number, they also purchased 4 or 5 others in my area, so the next person wanting a number in my AC, will not have the same wait I did.

I am a happy Ooma customer and I hope they continue to improve and grow, and that I can continue on with them for a long time to come. :D