This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#51761 by jdorin
Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:08 pm
Here's what the http://www.visualware.com site saw just now (1:50am Eastern):

Picture 3.png
Picture 3.png (49.64 KiB) Viewed 5203 times

Dunno if this site is the best one to provide the performance metrics you're inquiring about. Can you suggest a better one?

Since my last posting, and before performing the above internet speed test, following the suggs provided at one of the setup.ooma.com pages, I rearranged how my components are connected to this:

Clear(wire) WiMax (wireless modem) -> OomaHub's"Modem"port
OomaHub's"Home"port -> NetGear"WNR1000"modem
NetGear"WNR1000"modem -> PC computer
NetGear"WNR1000"modem -> MAC computer

..and it's too late tonight to call anyone for voice quality testing.

Jim
#51763 by lbmofo
Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:54 pm
I see others using this site: http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

and I got the following result almost midnight PDT (looking pretty good):

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.8 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.7 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 7408200 bps
Upload speed: 2166264 bps
Download quality of service: 98 %
Upload quality of service: 98 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 44 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 41 ms
Average round trip time to server: 52 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 23200000bps
Route concurrency: 3.131665
Download TCP forced idle: 57 %
Maximum route speed: 12787312bps
#51774 by jdorin
Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:21 am
Thanks, Ibmofo, here are the results from using the WhichVoIP.com test site @ 3/31/2010 @ 8:10am Eastern:

WhichVoIP.jpg
WhichVoIP.jpg (221.06 KiB) Viewed 5201 times

I don't know why the QOS is so paltry this morning :?:

A problem with using this test site is that you have no way of selecting which server is accessed from your computer for the testing. Since we all know that all Ooma voice calls must route through their one-and-only server in San Jose, CA, testing with other servers based elsewhere doesn't simulate the real picture. Not only can you not select the testing server's site, you're not told which one was used.
#51776 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:36 am
Seems your upload jitter is high which would cause problems with outgoing voice quality.

In this thread, Aveamantium said that jitter above 10ms or so will cause issues and wired ISPs would be better than wireless ISPs.

murphy said:

Jitter should be less than 5 ms.
Packet loss should be 0.
Download and upload QOS should be at least 70%.
Maximum TCP delay should be under 100 ms.
#51778 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:56 am
Yes, I understand about not being able to pick which server to test with but the test does seem to be a good indicator of your ISP VoIP quality.

Changing gears on you, I thought Clear WiMax (same WiMax used by Sprint's 4G) is advertised at 6Mbps download why are you getting numbers less than 1.5Mbps? That's slower than AT&T 3G. BTW, AT&T 3G obliterates all other carrier's 3G. Not sure if any wireless carrier jitter is better than 5ms but just curious about your WiMax speeds.

Have you looked at http://speedtest.net? Does that site report the same less than 1.5Mbps as well?
#51781 by jdorin
Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:08 am
I suspect that the "wireless" vs. "wired" ISP issue here is paramount to the QoS issues I'm experiencing.

WIRED vs. WIRELESS
When I first got/installed my Ooma Hub system (11/2009), I was using wired AT&T DSL for my ISP. I had this configuration up for less than 2 weeks when I heard about the Clear wireless ISP option .. it was a free trial, but it lasted for but just a week. I tried it, surfing, talking, both simultaneously .. seemed really good. I signed up for Clear ($30/mo) and sacked AT&T (I can't tell you how great that felt!).

Then, and only then, did I stumble across some Ooma Forum discussions saying that a wireless ISP is not recommended .. and I think I'm now seeing why.

WHAT'S "CLEAR"?
For those of you who don't know about Clear's WiMax ISP service, it's a wireless 4G solution offering two plan speeds, for $30 or $40/month; you buy ($75) or rent ($5/mo) their modem. They also offer a Mobile laptop connectivity ISP solution. They're at http://www.clear.com. NO, I'm not a Clear sales agent, but I do hope their QoS improves so I can continue using Ooma without having to re-engage MaBell or some other wired solution :!:
#51809 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:01 am
Just curious, isn't Clear's $30 for 1Mbps more than DSL's 3Mbps for $20 something? I sacked DSL because I was paying for 3Mbps @ $28 but was only getting 1.5Mbps. I went with cable (some small outfit) and now, most of time, my download is 16Mbps (less than $60 total bill).
#51821 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:07 am
Nevermind, I forgot that without phone service, DSL is $10 extra.

I am wondering how they limit your speed with Clear. Maybe go to the $40 plan on a trial basis and find out if your jitter gets any better?
#51823 by jdorin
Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:22 am
I was a little misguided in the Clear info I reported. Clear has THREE residential plans: 1.5, 3.0, and 6.0 Mbps service, for $25, $30, and $45 per month. I'm on their middle plan right now.

I've spent a fair amount of time with several of Clear's techs today .. we ended up with having me produce a tracert ("trace route") report, then send the results to them for analysis .. they're to get back to me with, hopefully, performance-enhancing suggs. They're young in the business, they're trying hard to gain a bigger foothold in the US, and they're really on top of Tech Support!

I've asked for a trial shot at their top-tier service plan, to see if my clipping/jitters problems subside .. we're waiting to see if it can be resolved at the 3.0Mbps/$30 level.