This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#51574 by devika
Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:49 am
Seems ooma is well aware of this issue as DennisP who is usually proactive on personal mails is quiet this time. I have called support and they told me to plug-in QOS numbers on Telo without any relief. I have been clear to support that it does not make any difference whether telo is before or after the router. My speeds are solid at 15Mbps download and 2 Mbps upload, with 12ms ping, 1ms jitter and 0 packet loss.

Its so frustrating when a perfectly working service suddenly stops working like it used to. There is something at the headend but till the powers that be come out and tell us or fix the issue at their end we won;t have any relief. I plan to call again today to get the same technical help that I should try to increase the numbers higher. Will update what technical support is telling me now.

As the OP mentioned, its never the issue to hear the other side, its those we call keep telling us that we are breaking up really bad and that they cannot make any sense of what is going on. It starts and progressively gets worse if you hold on. I generally end up calling from my cell phone.
#51576 by lbmofo
Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:05 am
You also reported ooma.com being slow? You may want to check up on your modem/router. I had to get a new cable modem a few days ago when a relative's ooma service all of a sudden became unreliable with terrible voice quality (voice quality worsens until call drops). This problem was intermittent. Most of the time, when I ran speedtests, the speeds were fine. Turns out, the cable modem would have problems only once in a while. With a new cable modem, no more problems.
#51579 by southsound
Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:19 am
lbmofo wrote:You also reported ooma.com being slow? You may want to check up on your modem/router.

In this case, the two are unrelated. I have Qwest 1.5mbps down, 768kbps up. All pages, including the forum, load normally. Today, my.ooma.com is taking forever to even get to the login page. I think they may be having server issues - but the servers for their website are different than for their VOIP service.
#51586 by lbmofo
Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:55 am
I didn't check my.ooma.com this morning but the forum page loaded fine so thought all was well. my.ooma.com works okay for me as of now.
#51589 by southsound
Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:23 am
lbmofo wrote:I didn't check my.ooma.com this morning but the forum page loaded fine so thought all was well. my.ooma.com works okay for me as of now.

Mine is back up to speed as well. Must have been a temporary problem. I don't log in often but checked it after devika posted about it being slooooooow.
#51596 by jmassimilla
Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:53 am
My.Ooma.com was very slow for me this morning but works ok now. Forums page has always loaded ok.
#51600 by raindrop
Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:05 pm
I am having two issues since last night (3/28/2010).

1) One is the same outgoing calls quality being poor.

2) My DSL is not as fast as you guys, I am running only 1.5Mbps/256Kbps DSL. My Ooma Hub is directly connected to DSL Modem/Router combo and all the other PCs are connected through the Ooma. Usually I do not have any problems with this setup but since yesterday evening my Internet connection became slower than 56k dial-up. When I plugged-in my PC directly in to DSL Modem/Router speed returned to normal. Then for experiment I connected Ooma Hub to DSL Modem and connected PC to Ooma Hub, again Internet connection became slower than dial-up. There is definitely something going on with the Ooma devices.

I think it may be some new firmware loaded into Ooma devices. Can you guys please post your firmware number while reporting the issues?
BTW my firmware version is Rev: 33454.33454

Thanks.
#51653 by raindrop
Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:31 am
Hi,
I want to see if Outgoing call Quality issue is resolved for the other users.
I am still having outgoing call issues since past 3 days and was wondering if its just me or if anyone else is still having issues?

Thanks.
#51752 by jdorin
Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:14 pm
Local callers, and those locals whom I call, are reporting the same "underwater/clipping" jitter issues, while what I hear is perfect. I'm in Atlanta and these "local" calls are in town.

When a caller reports the clipping, I usually end up abandoning the Ooma call and switch to my cell phone :x ! As soon as the cellphone-routed conversation is completed, I call someone else to see how they perceive the call's quality. Local = same; Atlanta-Denver = no quality issues!

Hmmm, :?: could it be calls traveling shorter internet distances to/roundtrip through the Ooma computer in San Jose perform better than the longer roundtrips?

ATLANTA LOCAL CALLS
MyOoma(LocalAtlanta)->Ooma'sComputer(SanJose,CA)->LocalAtlanta <-- 4925 miles!

LONG DISTANCE CALLS
MyOoma(LocalAtlanta)->Ooma'sComputer(SanJose,CA)->Denver <-- 3686 miles!

The local poor quality calls usually appear more frequently during our evening hours, 7-10pm, Eastern. Hmm, could be that the 'net gets used heavier in the evenings after dinner, and network congestion is a factor.

My setup is: Clear(wire) WiMax (wireless) modem -> router -> OomaHub"Home" port -> PC
(All connectivity in my house, after the modem has snatched the signal out of the air, is wired .. no wireless anything in the house.) I'm using the Hub with my own phone sets in the house .. haven't found a use for the Scout that came with the Hub. The Device Status - Rev (which I'm guessing is the version number of the Hub's firmware is): 33454.33454 (hmm, both numbers bearing the same number seems suspicious); I don't know when/how Ooma updates that.

In trying to improve QOS, I called Ooma Support 3/29/2010 @ 1:30pm Eastern US, got a helpful technician, "K. B." He said the call sounded fine on his end .. he's in the Philippines. He asked me about speeds; I performed the http://www.speedtest.net test, Atlanta->SanJose, and told him: 880Kbps UP, 2.98Mbps DN. With that info, he had me access setup.ooma.com, select the Advanced pick from the Navigation panel (on the left side of the Home page). On the Advanced Settings page, he inquired about the Quality of Service settings, which were: 348 Kbps UP, 0 Kbps DN. He had me reset the UP setting to 748 Kbps. Then hang up with him (I had used the Ooma equipment to call Support), reboot Ooma (unplug/10sec/replug the power supply), and wait for his call back, which came in about 5 minutes. "How does it sound now?" we both asked each other. Both of us reported "fine." "Anything else I can do to help you?" he asked. Uh, no, it sounds fine now .. thank you.

That was yesterday. Tonight's local calls = same jitter-affecting QOS hits! :x :cry: AARGGH!
#51760 by lbmofo
Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:41 pm
jdorin, how does your VoIP Quality test look?

murphy wrote:Jitter should be less than 5 ms.
Packet loss should be 0.
Download and upload QOS should be at least 70%.
Maximum TCP delay should be under 100 ms.