This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#48944 by Spirited
Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:31 am
Just wanted to enter my comments regarding Telo quality.

#1 issue: echoing. I'll need to run the diagnostics and report that back here. Intermittently I hear my voice echoed back to varying degrees. I'm guessing this is just something that I"ll have to live with. However, would be huge opportunity for Ooma to develop automated method of doing this that doesn't require user to connect computers / wires and try to decipher data streams. Very intimidating for the casual home user.

The other 2 issues could be huge deal breakers. The first I noticed most last weekend but has happened at least once since. I believe the calls were from here (US, WA State) to the UK and Germany. I kept getting different voices reporting something similarr to "all circuits / or lines are busy. Code ####." The calls would not go through.

Yesterday, the issue was in calls from here (US, WA State) to Japan. This happened to a single number I was calling in Osaka. I called, all I heard was the normal ringing sound. No answer. It turns out in at least 2 instances the person in Japan picked up the phone and just heard silence. I would think it was a situation that I called and hung up right as that person answered - except that it happened twice and they say they picked up right away when it rang. (I did get through successfully one time - and then later, they called me back after I tried calling again and got the no answer).

One final issue, which only happened once, was a domestic call within the same city. I called, heard the other person's voice, but they could not hear me. I called back and the call went through successfully.

All in all a very spotty performance by the Ooma VOIP. As a person who often uses their cell phone and only relies on the land line for casual conversations, it's probably tolerable. However, I would never ever recommend Ooma as the service for a business or person who relies on consistent high quality connections.