This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#50041 by kwasigm
Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:31 pm
I had the same problem and like I said earlier, it was my wireless router's firewall that was blocking the calls. You need to check the router and find out if there are logs of blocked communication.
#50876 by tryan
Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:24 am
I suspect ooma is having the same problem vonage had in early years. As ooma takes market share, ISP are blocking or delaying thier traffic. Vonage had to sue to clear the lines.

I haven't been able to make an out going call for weeks. Vonage is looking better and better....

FWIW the factory reset did nothing. Can't see a firewall interfering with OUTGOING traffic.
#50878 by murphy
Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:56 am
tryan wrote:I suspect ooma is having the same problem vonage had in early years. As ooma takes market share, ISP are blocking or delaying thier traffic. Vonage had to sue to clear the lines.

I haven't been able to make an out going call for weeks. Vonage is looking better and better....

FWIW the factory reset did nothing. Can't see a firewall interfering with OUTGOING traffic.

ISPs are no longer blocking traffic. Comcast got into trouble with the FCC for blocking file sharing traffic.
If your router or modem has an outgoing firewall (most don't) it can indeed block Ooma's ability to connect to the Ooma servers.

I had no problems with Vonage (except for the cost) and no problems with Ooma in over a year of service.
#51100 by tryan
Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:24 am
Spoke to a friend in VOIP ... FCC put the hammer down on Comcast and is monitoring for blockage/delays.

Should I disable the firewall (seems risky)? Or what's the "tweak"?

Thanx in advance.

PS Good thing I have great cell service ... otherwise this box would be in the trash.