This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#48683 by skellener
Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:32 am
Glad it's all working for you. TWC here. Haven't had any issues with my Ooma set up since the day I hooked it up. Great service. So great, that 3 friends and my mom, brother and and in-laws all have it now. No problems with any of them at all.
#48685 by bjdyl
Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:38 am
skellener wrote:Glad it's all working for you. TWC here. Haven't had any issues with my Ooma set up since the day I hooked it up. Great service. So great, that 3 friends and my mom, brother and and in-laws all have it now. No problems with any of them at all.



Same here... It's good that it's all working for you... But for my situation, it's the opposite way.. I don't really know yet what really is causing it but one thing is sure my jitter is so high, it even goes up to 100-200ms sometimes. If this won't solve the problem I'm thinking to swith to DSL verizon. I hope it's gonna work.
#48894 by jhutchings
Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:06 pm
You, know I have my ooma device connected directly to my router, have that port set to high priority. Everything works well. I have run tests on my Suddenlink connection and they are very good. Now I have a linksys PAP2 ata that I run through pbxes.org to several sip services. Now that thing is in another room, it goes first to one switch, then to another switch, finally to a wireless G ap bridge setup, and finally to my router and cable modem. That thing is perfect, no sound issues, really very well. I don't even have to to set any priorities or even open any ports on my firewall, that thing just works. My question to you guys, which one of you have a pap2 device and a ooma, and how do you have them setup. I wonder if I can take and set the priority on the port back to normal. Yes I can test it, just wondering how others are setting up theirs and do you feel the linksys device is more robust.
#51221 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:57 am
murphy wrote:Jitter should be less than 5 ms.
Packet loss should be 0.
Download and upload QOS should be at least 70%.
Maximum TCP delay should be under 100 ms.

Try this. Connect to the status web page in your cable modem

http://192.168.100.1

Find the downstream and upstream power in dBmV and the Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) and report back.

The downstream signal power should be between -10 and +10 dBmV. (Some say between -15 and +15 but I feel that is pushing your luck)

The SNR should be 35 or more.

The upstream power level should be less than 55 dBmV.


I've done some VoIP quality test sampling on my setup.

My setup: Cable Modem -> ooma Hub -> Router

This one is from this morning before 9am PST:


VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.9 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 4.0 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.4 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.9
Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 9898792 bps
Upload speed: 2168832 bps
Download quality of service: 50 %
Upload quality of service: 98 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 324 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 43 ms
Average round trip time to server: 43 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 30400000bps
Route concurrency: 3.0710819
Download TCP forced idle: 60 %
Maximum route speed: 12192552bps


This one is from last night after 9pm PST:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.6 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.7 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0
Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 9426168 bps
Upload speed: 2173072 bps
Download quality of service: 84 %
Upload quality of service: 97 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 56 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 43 ms
Average round trip time to server: 45 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 28800000bps
Route concurrency: 3.0553243
Download TCP forced idle: 60 %
Maximum route speed: 12192552bps


Seems my jitter results are fine.

On the:


"Download and upload QOS should be at least 70%."

I've seen my download QoS as low as 50%; since my download speed most of the time is above 6 Mbps (max 16 Mbps) and lowest I've seen is 3Mbps during evenings, should this 50% number be of any concern given that VoIP requires little bandwidth?

"Maximum TCP delay should be under 100 ms."

Last evening, the Maximum TCP delay was less than 100 ms (56 ms) but this morning, I saw 324 ms. What aspect of VoIP will suffer if this number is higher than 100 ms?

Thanks.
#52347 by lbmofo
Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:40 pm
murphy wrote:Jitter should be less than 5 ms.
Packet loss should be 0.
Download and upload QOS should be at least 70%.
Maximum TCP delay should be under 100 ms.

Try this. Connect to the status web page in your cable modem

http://192.168.100.1

Find the downstream and upstream power in dBmV and the Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR) and report back.

The downstream signal power should be between -10 and +10 dBmV. (Some say between -15 and +15 but I feel that is pushing your luck)

The SNR should be 35 or more.

The upstream power level should be less than 55 dBmV.


I lost my internet service for most of the day today. Called the cable company and they couldn't resolve "my cable modem problem." They were going to come out (in 2 days) and if the problem is with my modem, they were going to charge.

I said there has got to be more you can ask me to do to diagnose the problem, they said no. "If you don't have a reset button, you are out of luck!" ??

I even told them that I went into http://192.168.100.1 and see a bunch of "No Ranging Response received" errors in the log. They said they couldn't do anything unless a tech came out. ??

I said the heck with it, tried "restore factory default" and rebooted, all is fine now. Called them back and cancelled the service call. How bad can tech support be? Something must have changed to cause my modem's config to be out of sync with their service but they swear nothing happened today....weird.

Anyhow, wanted to post this to thank you for the link http://192.168.100.1. Not even the manual mentions how to reset the modem.
#52370 by AZGuyJoe
Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:58 am
I have a hub/scout as well.
My phone (Uniden DECT 6 base) is connected to the scout because I have a dedicated fax line connected to the hub.
Voice quality with the scout is great. I talk to my daughter almost every day; recently she asked when I was switching over to "that new phone system" - I told her that I did it a few weeks ago. Good endoresement!
#52396 by bjdyl
Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:53 am
AZGuyJoe wrote:I have a hub/scout as well.
My phone (Uniden DECT 6 base) is connected to the scout because I have a dedicated fax line connected to the hub.
Voice quality with the scout is great. I talk to my daughter almost every day; recently she asked when I was switching over to "that new phone system" - I told her that I did it a few weeks ago. Good endoresement!



Yes! We already solve the choppy/static sound. It was the problem of ISP in my area. I switched to verizon with the basic plan and now it's working great. Sound quality is great and perfect. I'm actually referring this to my friends. My wife's uncle got their ooma and they're enjoying it. I haven't try connecting it to my fax yet but I'll try that soon. I hope it's going to work fine. Thanks for the help everyone. God bless!!!
#57287 by lbmofo
Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:20 am
lbmofo wrote:Seems my jitter results are fine.

On the:


"Download and upload QOS should be at least 70%."

I've seen my download QoS as low as 50%; since my download speed most of the time is above 6 Mbps (max 16 Mbps) and lowest I've seen is 3Mbps during evenings, should this 50% number be of any concern given that VoIP requires little bandwidth?

"Maximum TCP delay should be under 100 ms."

Last evening, the Maximum TCP delay was less than 100 ms (56 ms) but this morning, I saw 324 ms. What aspect of VoIP will suffer if this number is higher than 100 ms?

Thanks.


Ever since I've done this "Use Built in Modem Port MAC Address instead of Automatic" I have been getting great readouts on Maximum TCP delay and Download/Upload QoS %s. Jitter numbers are consistently good too.


VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.5 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 4.0 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 10101936 bps
Upload speed: 2182768 bps
Download quality of service: 96 %
Upload quality of service: 98 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 27 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 43 ms
Average round trip time to server: 44 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 32000000bps
Route concurrency: 3.1677096
Download TCP forced idle: 63 %
Maximum route speed: 12192552bps

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests