This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#46779 by JTalbert
Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:09 pm
--- Moved from Calling 101, I posted in wrong group. Old posting deleted.

I am about to throw in the towel. I have a week before 30 days to return my Ooma handset and longer for my Telo since I got it at Costco. My port went through smoothly and thats the only thing that is smooth. Sound quality is t r i ble ? Oh you did not understand me, its because I am bre k ng up. I am having serious issues with people understanding when I talk to them. I am have a lot of static on their end or I am breaking up. The past few days I have called my home a few times and each time I hear the horrible quality others are complaining about.

I have modified my QOS a few times and no luck. When I do a VOIP test, I have 40% QOS with the tests.

I really dont understand why I can have so many problems, My download speed ranges from 8mb/s to 21 mb/s and my upload speed is usually 2.5 mb/s or higher, there are times it can get down to 1mb/s .

I have set my QOS to my full reports on my speed test.

Right now I have my setup as cable modem -> Ooma -> wireless router.

I may tonight try to put the ooma behind my wireless router to see if that makes it any better. I think I have read people having better luck that way, even though the recommended setup is the way I currently have it.

Anyone have any ideas of what I can try before I box up the handset and call Cox and yell Uncle and start porting my number back to them?
#46780 by Groundhound
Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:12 pm
Speed is not the issue, it's connection quality. QoS settings, whether set in your Telo in front of your router or set in your router with Telo behind it, won't fix a bad Internet connection - QoS settings only prioritize traffic on your network. Your case sounds like a prime example of what Ooma's PureVoice is intended to help, but I don't know if it will be released prior to your return deadline. Kind of ironic that by providing you with a poor Internet connection, Cox "earns" your phone business...
#46782 by JTalbert
Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:25 pm
Pure Voice is suppose to fix these issues? If so then I may be able to persuade my wife in holding off till the updates comes out. I love the Ooma, I really dont want to give it up. But with how the QoS is now and always hearing from my inlaws and my father that this phone service sucks. I dont know how much more I can handle. The other thing that may save me, is we hope to move in the next 2-3 months and my hope is we move to an area with a more reliable internet connection, It will still be with cox, but who knows...
#46783 by caseybea
Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:29 pm
40% QOS upload is terrible. While you have a "fast" internet connection, you do not have one that seems to provide constant good upload rates, which is critical to VOiP service. It's not an ooma issue, it's an ISP issue. Do you have DSL, or...?
#46785 by murphy
Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:32 pm
JTalbert wrote:Pure Voice is suppose to fix these issues? If so then I may be able to persuade my wife in holding off till the updates comes out. I love the Ooma, I really dont want to give it up. But with how the QoS is now and always hearing from my inlaws and my father that this phone service sucks. I dont know how much more I can handle. The other thing that may save me, is we hope to move in the next 2-3 months and my hope is we move to an area with a more reliable internet connection, It will still be with cox, but who knows...

Connect to the following IP address and report the downstream signal strength, Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR), and upstream power level.

http://192.168.100.1

Is there more than one split between your incoming cable and the cable modem?
#46789 by JTalbert
Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:56 pm
murphy wrote:
JTalbert wrote:Pure Voice is suppose to fix these issues? If so then I may be able to persuade my wife in holding off till the updates comes out. I love the Ooma, I really dont want to give it up. But with how the QoS is now and always hearing from my inlaws and my father that this phone service sucks. I dont know how much more I can handle. The other thing that may save me, is we hope to move in the next 2-3 months and my hope is we move to an area with a more reliable internet connection, It will still be with cox, but who knows...

Connect to the following IP address and report the downstream signal strength, Signal to Noise Ratio (SNR), and upstream power level.

http://192.168.100.1

Is there more than one split between your incoming cable and the cable modem?

I will do this when I get home. I will check the splits. I know I have alteast one splitter, a three way splitter. The cable comes into the house, its split to go into the living room TV, then the bedroom TV's and the cable modem. I will be sure there is either only one splitter, or would doing a single split and the modem going into that, then have the other rooms split off that, would that help?
#46794 by murphy
Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:23 pm
Three way splitters typically have a single 3.5 db port and two 7 db ports.
Put the cable modem on the 3.5 db port.
#46806 by JTalbert
Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:23 pm
murphy wrote:Three way splitters typically have a single 3.5 db port and two 7 db ports.

Just got home, looked at my splitter, and it has three 5.5db ports. So should I go out and find a splitter as the one you described above?

Also, here is the info regarding my modem.

Name: WebSTAR DPC2100R2
Modem Serial Number: 203228807
Cable Modem MAC Address: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Hardware Version: 2.0
Software Version: v2.0.2r1256-060303
Receive Power Level: -8.4 dBmV
Transmit Power Level: 49.0 dBmV
Cable Modem Status: Operational

Thanks for your assistance.
#46812 by JTalbert
Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:41 pm
Would buying a signal booster help possibly?
#46813 by murphy
Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:42 pm
JTalbert wrote:
murphy wrote:Three way splitters typically have a single 3.5 db port and two 7 db ports.

Just got home, looked at my splitter, and it has three 5.5db ports. So should I go out and find a splitter as the one you described above?

Also, here is the info regarding my modem.

Name: WebSTAR DPC2100R2
Modem Serial Number: 203228807
Cable Modem MAC Address: XXXXXXXXXXXXX
Hardware Version: 2.0
Software Version: v2.0.2r1256-060303
Receive Power Level: -8.4 dBmV
Transmit Power Level: 49.0 dBmV
Cable Modem Status: Operational

Thanks for your assistance.

I would get a two way splitter to feed the cable modem. Make sure it is a bi-directional splitter.

I own one of those modems. I no longer use it. It would overheat in the horizontal position and the downstream would drop WAY down. The upstream was always fine.

The following is experimentally derived from my modem.

Go to

http://www.speedtest.net

run the test and write down the results.

If you have it sitting horizontal, take the four rubber feet off of the bottom and move them to the end near the incoming coax. There are four places to put them on that end. Sit the modem vertical and make sure nothing can block any of the ventilation holes. Wait an hour or direct a fan at the modem for 15 minutes.

Rerun the speed test.

Any difference?

In my case my downstream would drop from 20 to .5 as the modem heated up.