This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#45013 by JTalbert
Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:29 pm
I have had Ooma for a few weeks, most of its been okay, never had real quality issues, until tonight.

We talked to a few people who said we were breaking up badly. I was testing my net speeds for upload it went from 3xx kbs to 3xxx kbs.. Ofcourse when it was low thats when the call would break up.

I just ran a voip test on my line and got a QAS of 45% .

My question is, generally, going into setup.ooma.com, under advanced, would a higher number in upload be better than a lower number? Any suggestions on what I can do to help. If things do not get better I am going to have no choice but to get rid of Ooma. My wife will not put up with bad quality phone service. She talks on the phone a lot..

Here are my stats... Thanks for any help. I have Cox, and we have had it for about 7 years, could I have a modem thats failing?

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 4.4 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 5.4 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.1 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 4589760 bps
Upload speed: 2549760 bps
Quality of service: 45 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum download pause: 20 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 12 ms
Average round trip time to server: 16 ms
#45030 by amoney
Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:05 am
You will have to continue monitoring your internet connection, if it continues you will have to contact COX. A bad modem has been a issue in the past for some.

If it is a rare occurance, I would not worry about it, using VOIP is dependent upon other factors, knowning this, this is bound to happen once and awhile, as long as it is not frequent.