This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#45834 by qbane65
Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:41 pm
thaiphle wrote:I'm glad u have good experience with them. It just that I've spend a total of more than 1 and 1/2 hours on the phone with them (cell phone minutes) on 4 occasions and it is leading to nowhere. I am a highly technical person and the fact that I am treated like a moron speaking to those stupid tech support persons made me mad. I really think many of the persons on this forum know more about the Ooma tech support themselves. And I think they should peruse the website to acquire more experience for better customer support!!!I'm running out of time for testing and trying with them. Each customer support person is just asking me to try something I've already tried check the "10 digit dialing" , trying different phone, different cables, try calling different phone numbers...blah blah.. What a waste of time!!!

I've been an ooma customer for a month now and am also getting increasingly frustrated. Outbound voice quality was okay only for the first week and then started deteriorating ever since. After repeated reconfigurations and tests on my own, as well as getting the run-around by Ooma tech support, all I could conclude is that Ooma's technology is not ready yet for prime time. Outbound QoS fluctuates so much and so often that I now feel too embarrassed to pick up the phone. Every time my wife uses her cellphone at home, I could feel the silent sting on my back, "look what a big mistake you've made!"

BTW, my ISP is Time Warner Cable, and I'm getting a VERY CONSISTENT service level of 10 Mbps down/1Mbps up. At times I also wondered if my problems rest with TWC (their traffic shaping practice, perhaps), but logic seems to suggest otherwise. Case in point: I've been a Skype user for several years now, and no matter who my ISP was, my PC-to-phone voice quality remained stellar, even when I was a Verizon DSL customer at 768 K up/128 K down. I know the Internet, being a best-effort-only public IP network, can be unpredictable when it comes to performance, so what's Skype's secret formula?
I just wish Skype would offer a phone-to-phone service. I'll give it another month before taking my Ooma Telo back to Costco.
#45847 by amoney
Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:39 pm
qbane65 wrote:
thaiphle wrote:I'm glad u have good experience with them. It just that I've spend a total of more than 1 and 1/2 hours on the phone with them (cell phone minutes) on 4 occasions and it is leading to nowhere. I am a highly technical person and the fact that I am treated like a moron speaking to those stupid tech support persons made me mad. I really think many of the persons on this forum know more about the Ooma tech support themselves. And I think they should peruse the website to acquire more experience for better customer support!!!I'm running out of time for testing and trying with them. Each customer support person is just asking me to try something I've already tried check the "10 digit dialing" , trying different phone, different cables, try calling different phone numbers...blah blah.. What a waste of time!!!

I've been an ooma customer for a month now and am also getting increasingly frustrated. Outbound voice quality was okay only for the first week and then started deteriorating ever since. After repeated reconfigurations and tests on my own, as well as getting the run-around by Ooma tech support, all I could conclude is that Ooma's technology is not ready yet for prime time. Outbound QoS fluctuates so much and so often that I now feel too embarrassed to pick up the phone. Every time my wife uses her cellphone at home, I could feel the silent sting on my back, "look what a big mistake you've made!"

BTW, my ISP is Time Warner Cable, and I'm getting a VERY CONSISTENT service level of 10 Mbps down/1Mbps up. At times I also wondered if my problems rest with TWC (their traffic shaping practice, perhaps), but logic seems to suggest otherwise. Case in point: I've been a Skype user for several years now, and no matter who my ISP was, my PC-to-phone voice quality remained stellar, even when I was a Verizon DSL customer at 768 K up/128 K down. I know the Internet, being a best-effort-only public IP network, can be unpredictable when it comes to performance, so what's Skype's secret formula?
I just wish Skype would offer a phone-to-phone service. I'll give it another month before taking my Ooma Telo back to Costco.

VOIP traffic certainly is different, and unfortunately your service level although a good baseline can not be entirely used to troubleshoot a connection. Additionally you need to do a jitter test...

http://whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

I know its a pain, but there have been other users report that eventually it was found to be a modem issue and only upon replacement this issue was fixed. Troubleshooting network issues are a pain.

I have read another user who also has TWC (not sure of the area) perhaps it was you? and said they had bad quality and there were no options.
#46491 by annvp
Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:55 am
I seem to have the opposite problem from the posts I've read here. I'll call someone, their phone rings and when they pick up they think no one is there. I can hear them, but they can't hear me. Then, if I hang up and call again right away, they can hear me. Has been happening for the last few weeks. No problems before then. Any suggestions? tks
#46520 by ntoy
Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:16 am
Hello annvp,

Has anything changed in your network configuration?
Try powering off all devices & power back in sequence.

For example: Modem>router>telo
With all devices all, power in this order:
1.Modem - allow a few minutes for it to come up
2. Router - allow a few minutes for it to come up
3. Telo - allow extra time.

If you have Modem>telo>router - power in this sequence.