This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#42378 by JTalbert
Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:12 am
I have read nothing but horrible things about the handset. Most reviews were before the latest firmware update. I was thinking about picking one up, but before I spend my money on it, I wanted to see if anyone was happy with it, especially after the latest firmware update.

Jeff
#42410 by alancommike
Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:27 pm
Functionally, it works fine - you could make and received clear sounding calls. Ergonomically, not so good. There's sharp edges, especially at the top with the lightpipe for vmail notification, it's slow to respond to button presses, and the phone book integration isn't done yet, so you'll have to enter your phone book by hand. It's not bad, just not as good as you'd expect.

I wish they would have spent another dollar or two on manufacturing, better design, and a faster internal processor. I was going to buy a few more, but after the 1st one, I've been hesitating. I might wait to see what happens with the SIP functionality and how 3rd party SIP phones integrate. Then there's always just another POTS DECT multi-line phone....

...alan
#42415 by caseybea
Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:44 pm
The thought of having to buy a PARTICULAR handset to work with the (new) Ooma really really turned me off. For me, the older CORE (hub+scout) unit fits all my needs, and then some.

Personally, I think ooma should get OUT of the handset business. Concentrate on what they do well, the voip boxes...
#42435 by amoney
Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:38 pm
Woof, I would even say Ooma get out of manufacturing all together. Imagine bring your own VOIP boxes and let the user program the SIP account information.

Honestly as long as Ooma beat the competition prices and doesn't add on all that additonal fees, I am game and Ooma can have my money.

As far as the handsets go, here are some close up's...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5994&p=42430#p42430
#42507 by Davesworld
Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:09 am
Well, I'm continuing the path away from the topic but what the heck? I have a Hub and Scout as well as a Telo I'm playing with but have no desire for that handset. The button response is going to be difficult to overcome since the response is in the telo itself over the network but it's not impossible. This is to a handset what an old dumb terminal thin client is to computing. Just give us the wireless scout and bluetooth usb dongle and then I'll give up my hub and scout.

I think that the byo ata should at least be optional. Grandstream makes ata's with multiple ports that also have iLBC as an option. The Linksys stuff like the Pap2 is good as well (Yes, more akin to Cisco than Linksys) but supports everything except the iLBC codec for some reason.

The telo with the bluetooth dongle usb stick would be intriguing as would be the wireless equivalent of a scout. Of course you can get ata devices with four or eight pots ports on them as well by either mfr. Not sure how many lines you could get out of a telo with multiple wireless scouts. Many people would want the Ooma devices rather than be a Do It Yourselfer, the button access is cool. For the DIYer, they would have to use a completely different pricing structure, some premium features deal with the device interface itself. It's difficult to make money in VOIP and many providers don't last more than a few years.

The gotcha on the Linksys PAP2 is that you can't carry on compressed (compressed more than g.711) codecs on two phone calls on the two phone numbers simultaneously because to decompress and compress the more compact codecs for two calls simultaneously needs a bit more power. This of course would be a plus to all you g.711 only users though. The 4 and 8 port ones have plenty of power and are more like a small pbx that still doesn't draw too much power. All of them support g.722 as well as others including g.729 and g.711 and more. The grandstreams advertise iLBC as a codec but the Linksys ones don't. One candidate not many speak of for HD (overused label) voice is SPEEX. g.722 is not unanimously applauded as THE HD codec for everyone although it has been around since the 80's I believe.

The g.729 codec on a good low loss low jitter connection sounds the same as iLBC until the connection is poor quality, then the iLBC codec is supposed to handle loss much more gracefully. I'd love to experiment with all of the codecs on numerous calls.

Having said all this, who actually does make Ooma's ata boxes? I know much of the hardware has to be standard, having it all on a chipset with cpu built in is pretty normal and they all have echo cancellation built in. Ooma's devices differ by extensions such as buttons, a speaker and so forth.
#42540 by bw1
Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:28 am
Davesworld wrote:I think that the byo ata should at least be optional. Grandstream makes ata's with multiple ports that also have iLBC as an option. The Linksys stuff like the Pap2 is good as well (Yes, more akin to Cisco than Linksys) but supports everything except the iLBC codec for some reason.

The telo with the bluetooth dongle usb stick would be intriguing as would be the wireless equivalent of a scout. Of course you can get ata devices with four or eight pots ports on them as well by either mfr. Not sure how many lines you could get out of a telo with multiple wireless scouts. Many people would want the Ooma devices rather than be a Do It Yourselfer, the button access is cool. For the DIYer, they would have to use a completely different pricing structure, some premium features deal with the device interface itself. It's difficult to make money in VOIP and many providers don't last more than a few years.

I guess I don't see the reason for a BYOD, there are other companies that do that. My understanding is that they're not as easy to configure.

That's one advantage for Ooma, it's very easy to setup and configure, even for the average person.

Besides, how would they make any money on BYOD?

Back on topic - The handsets do have their drawbacks, that many have already noted.

I find them useful to access the Premier features, including call screening, instant second line, easy access to voicemail.
And they are functional and work well now that the bugs have been worked out.

They're good to have access to Ooma in other rooms.

With that said, I still like my Panasonic handsets better overall. But that may change as new features are added to the Ooma handsets.

Perhaps Ooma could contract one of the other handset makers to incorporate the additional Ooma functionality into their handsets. Or maybe we'll see an improved Telo handset II in the future.
#42569 by alancommike
Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:01 am
I can't see Ooma going anywhere near BYO ATA for a long long time. Ooma's value is consumer oriented VOIP, buy the box & handset, plug it in, and for the vast majority of the people, it just works. Most people using Ooma don't know they're using VOIP, don't know the Telo is an ATA, and really don't care. Many on this forum are an exception, we're the "advanced" users. :)

They have plenty on their (overflowing?) plate right now without coming up with a way to support 3rd party boxes and pricing structure to go with it. Their still trying to stabilize their software, network, front-end, and support infrastructure with their own hardware that they control 100% of. Things would just be to unwieldy with even more unknowns. I'm really surprised, but very happy, they're supposed to be opening up their box to support SIP clients.

...alan
#42589 by Soundjudgment
Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:36 pm
alancommike wrote: but very happy, they're supposed to be opening up their box to support SIP clients.

...le drool.
#42626 by obfuscode
Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:03 pm
Davesworld wrote:The button response is going to be difficult to overcome since the response is in the telo itself over the network but it's not impossible.

Going farther from the topic path, just wanted to point this out; OnLive (demo/explanation of technology) has managed 80ms round-trip of both control commands and HD video... I would hope trimming latency on button response isn't out of the realm of possibility.

I'll stick with my vtech DECT 6.0 phones and my Ooma Hub until the Telo Handset gets vastly improved.

Jace