This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#41360 by nhandy007
Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:41 pm
Hello, I just set up my Ooma last night, and I'm having very noticeable delays while using the phone. I suspect part/all of my issues are resulting from conflicts with the modem/router. I would appreciate it if anyone has any suggestions on how I might improve the quality of my Ooma phone system.

I have 1.5 Mbps DSL from AT&T, and I use a modem/router combo to access the Internet. The modem/router is a 2wire 2701HG-B. I set up my system as follows: Wall -> 2wire Modem/Router -> Ooma -> PC. After initially setting it up I made a test call and the quality was great. There were no delays, and the other person sounded good. During the call, I noticed that I was unable to access the Internet on my PC. When I tried to, the Modem/Router brought up a page saying that it needed to automatically configure itself to allow this new device (Ooma) to work with the Internet. After selecting the auto-configuration, the Modem/Router said that it had placed the Ooma in the DMZplus Mode.

From Modem/Router regarding the DMZplus Mode: "All inbound traffic, except traffic which has been specifically assigned to another computer using the “Allow individual applications” feature, will automatically be directed to this computer. The DMZplus-enabled computer is less secure because all unassigned firewall ports are opened for that computer."

Afterwords, I was able to use the Ooma phone system and the Internet at the same time, but multiple calls after have very noticeable delays. These delays occur regardless if the PC is using the Internet or not.

Thanks for any help or advice you can provide. I certainly appreciate it!
#41396 by Groundhound
Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:53 pm
nhandy007 wrote:Afterwords, I was able to use the Ooma phone system and the Internet at the same time, but multiple calls after have very noticeable delays. These delays occur regardless if the PC is using the Internet or not.

Welcome to the Ooma forums, nhandy007. Run the test here: http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html, while no call is in progress and no other Internet traffic, and post the results from the Advanced tab. You said your download speed is 1.5 Mbps, what about upload speed?
#41423 by nhandy007
Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:59 am
Thanks for the suggestion. Here are the results from the test's advanced tab. Looks like the upload speed is 259 kbps.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.3 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 4.5 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 1627920 bps
Upload speed: 259128 bps
Download quality of service: 88 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 222 ms
Average download pause: 7 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 82 ms
Average round trip time to server: 84 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 1627920bps
Route concurrency: 1.0
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 6393656bps
#41425 by Groundhound
Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:22 am
Your test results are OK, with the exception that TCP max delay is a bit high. I'm making the following assumptions: You have AT&T's "Ultra" DSL which is 1.5 Mbps down and 256 Kbps up, and my second assumption is that you only have the one PC connected to your Ooma home network port - no other wired or wireless Internet devices.
If my assumptions are correct, go to http://setup.ooma.com and then to the Advanced page and make the following changes:
QoS3.jpg
QoS3.jpg (27.73 KiB) Viewed 8779 times

Click "Update".
#41434 by amoney
Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:44 am
I would recommend reset both devices back to factory defaults, I think your router did something it should not have done.

Everything should be plug and play and work accordingly.

I think the DMZ configuration is unneeded and possibly the root cause.

So if your still having issues, go back and reset to factory defaults. Another odd varible that sometimes affects people is go into your Ooma device setup.ooma.com (connect your computer to the home port and reboot your computer for new IP) and select option to use built in MAC address (change from automatic).

Bring everything up inorder and try again and see. IF the router prompts you to configure access for your Ooma, I recommend do not do so. There really is no reason to do so.

Sorry if I missed it, but where do you have your computer normally plugged into for the internet, you shuld plug into the router. Only connect to the Ooma home port to access the setup.ooma.com which you normally do not need to do unless troubleshooting. There is a setup you can do to access the home port via the router. Ask/serach and you will see.

The key thing is that if you plug your computer back and forth into the Ooma and router, you need to renew your IP address because the devices are different.

Bottom line, which everything connected to your router things should work. I would recomend to tey again once more before modifying anything. The point is it should work. At least from your discription of nothing working I dont think QOS is responsible for page can not be displayed.

My .02
#41500 by nhandy007
Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:49 pm
Thank you both for the suggestions!

I tried Groundhound's suggestion to modify the Quality of Service, followed the instructions, and it has really helped the delay issue. After making that change, I no longer notice a delay in my calls. Also, you were correct, I have AT&T's Ultra DSL and only one PC connected to the home port.

Thanks again, and take care!
#41562 by JTalbert
Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:52 pm
I am new here and have Cox cable. Here are my results. What should i set my QOS at?

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 3.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 5.1 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.9

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 9726728 bps
Upload speed: 3429472 bps
Download quality of service: 70 %
Upload quality of service: 93 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 82 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 14 ms
Average round trip time to server: 17 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 12800000bps
Route concurrency: 1.3159616
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 37448568bps
#42726 by JTalbert
Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:08 am
I am having voice delay issues as well, anyone with help or suggestions with the info I posted above? Or am I screwed and should return my Ooma?

I have my Ooma after the cable modem, before my AEBS, we have two computers connected wireless, an AE Express with a Tivo connected to it, a Tivo connected via ethernet cable plugged directly into my AEBS, and a Wii connected Wireless. The Tivos do not transmit info much, the Will doesnt, so the only thing I have that runs full time on my network are my two computers.
#42759 by amoney
Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:49 pm
JTalbert wrote:I am having voice delay issues as well, anyone with help or suggestions with the info I posted above? Or am I screwed and should return my Ooma?

I have my Ooma after the cable modem, before my AEBS, we have two computers connected wireless, an AE Express with a Tivo connected to it, a Tivo connected via ethernet cable plugged directly into my AEBS, and a Wii connected Wireless. The Tivos do not transmit info much, the Will doesnt, so the only thing I have that runs full time on my network are my two computers.

I am not a expert with the jitter number tesst, I could offer my thoughts if you run a raw speed test at speakeasy.net

I dont think your Tivo is interferring especially if your Ooma is ahead of everything and should be managing the QOS automaticlly but check to see what your QOS numbers are in ooma.setup.com.

BUT on the other hand if you have anything running in the background it can be a possibility.

As a basline disconnect everything and connect a computer directly to the modem and reboot everything and run the speed test.

Repeat with the Ooma box connected, also see if call quality is still a issue.

Let us know.