This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#42207 by southsound
Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:37 pm
This may sound silly but I need to ask - you did remember to power up the DSL modem, right? At power up, it should go through a process of first finding the signal, then recognizing the ethernet connection, then connecting to the ISP and authorizing the connection. During this time, the lights (even the power, going from amber to green) will flash. My modem is an Actiontec, but I would assume yours will do something similar. The entire process takes about a minute or two.

Please describe what happens on power up and we can go from there.

(If it is the power, I can make you feel better with a personal story about a scanner that would not turn on - and one of my roles in a prevous period of life was as a top level technical support engineer for the phone company. )
#42209 by Cozyone
Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:52 pm
Thanks for the reassurance. I have read your scanner story elsewhere. I did power the modem up. The green lights came on, but the 'ready' light continued to flash (which means no connectivity). It must be solid to establish a connection.

I've replaced it back in the house and viola, I'm connected again.
#42246 by EDog
Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:00 pm
I'd take a handset out to the box on the side of your house and make sure the jack the modem is plugged into has a dial tone. Plugging the modem in out there should work, and if it doesn't then you are doing something wrong. Plug the handset into your modem (if there is a place for that) and make sure you've got a dial tone. If there is no place to plug the phone into the modem, plug the phone into the box, verify dial tone, then unplug it and plug the modem into that same jack. Also, make sure you do NOT have a DSL filter on the line outside when plugging in the modem (you might need one for the handset to test for dial tone).
#42447 by Cozyone
Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:20 pm
I took a corded phone outside to the TelCo box and plugged the line into the two jacks that were in the box. I did NOT get a dial tone with either of them.

Yikes! Now what??
#42452 by amoney
Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:47 pm
Cozyone wrote:I took a corded phone outside to the TelCo box and plugged the line into the two jacks that were in the box. I did NOT get a dial tone with either of them.

Yikes! Now what??

Just have to clarify, you are sure that Telco box is yours, additionally, (its been awhile) does one need to use filters inorder for you to hear a dial tone (cant remember what sound is on the line with DSL).

You are sure that you have DSL not CABLE internet?

Curious, what the brand of your modem?
#42505 by Cozyone
Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:06 pm
1. The TelCo box is mounted on the side of my home and it's the one I walk the Verizon technicians to when there's a problem.

2. I did use the filter on the corded phone during the test at the TelCo box.

3. I have Verizon DSL. Don't even have cable (satillite instead).

4. Modem is old. It is a Westell Wirespeed provided by Verizon when I originally switched from dial-up to DSL.
#42592 by Soundjudgment
Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:44 pm
Cozyone wrote:4. Modem is old. It is a Westell Wirespeed provided by Verizon when I originally switched from dial-up to DSL.

oh... Lord... :?

The next time your system acts up and you are on the Net, try the test found at http://www.pingtest.net. Click BEGIN TEST and tell us what level the test-site graded your connection at. A - F ?
#42614 by Cozyone
Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:31 pm
I did the ping test prior to calling Verizon tech support and the grade was A.
Ping 44 ms
Jitter 3 ms
Packet Loss 0%

I haven't a clue what all of that means.
#42617 by dknyinva
Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:07 pm
Cozyone wrote:I did the ping test prior to calling Verizon tech support and the grade was A.
Ping 44 ms
Jitter 3 ms
Packet Loss 0%

I haven't a clue what all of that means.

Ping OK
Jitter is GOOD
Packet GREAT
Grade Excellent

all that mean is you have good connection and no latency