This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#38605 by Syd
Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:46 pm
Now that I've successfully installed a DSL Splitter outside, next to the POTS box, I had hoped that that would get rid of the buzz--it didn't. I've isolated and eliminated all I can think of, and I'm now beginning to suppose that the HUB itself is generating this buzz. I've used an RF filter, to no avail. I do have the ooma integrated with my old number, so I suppose that could be the problem, and I'll go ahead and see if support will give me a new number (as a last resort, before I return the ooma)--unless someone here can come up with something novel to fix the buzz. I'd really prefer to keep the number as it is, and also to hang on to a local telephone service. Interestingly, my magicJack (when plugged into the usb on my computer) works fine, and is as clear as a bell. I've tried a 900 Ghz and a 5.8 Ghz and a landline (with all wireless phones disconnected).
I've set the HUB beween the modem and the router, and now have the dsl line going, via the modem, to the "modem" socket with the now separated phone line going to the "wall" socket. The buzz is the only problem, all else seems good.
Syd
#38607 by southsound
Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:20 pm
Sometimes there can be stray voltage on a landline that can cause havoc with an integrated setup. Without the kind of measurement tools a telephone tech would normally have you can't do a lot of testing. But you might want to try reversing the landline wires - swap the green and red wires with each other (or if it is a newer system, white/blue, blue/white). No guarantee, but maybe it will help. If you do use an ooma number (and disconnect your landline, of course), I am quite sure that the buzz will go away. I've been using my ooma hub as a standalone system since February and have never heard a buzz. The DSL splitter is definetly a plus and will insure you have the highest possible DSL speeds because it effectively disconnects anything that could hamper the quality of the DSL signal. If you do go with an ooma number, remember to unplug the wire from the hub's "wall" jack. Let us know your results!
#38629 by Syd
Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:25 pm
southsound,
I guess I'll try a standalone system--if I can get ooma support to change my status from "integrated", and then to give me a new number. Do you know the most effective way to do this: to phone them or email them?
#38630 by southsound
Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:34 pm
I've found email to be almost useless. If you can get them now, great. You still have about 20 minutes. Otherwise, I'm assuming that they will be closed for Christmas, so try calling them on Saturday at 1-888-711-6662. Support hours are Monday-Friday 8am-6pm PST and Saturday-Sunday 8am to 5pm PST. Let us know how things work out!
#38634 by Syd
Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:32 pm
southsound,
Thanks for responding.
I'll call them Saturday, and I'll let you know (on this post) what the outcome is.
Syd
#42647 by Syd
Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:35 pm
southsound,
Well, it's been about three weeks since (needed to call customer service twice) and they eventually sent me (without a word or an email) a replacement transformer for the hub--and it worked! The buzz is no more!
So, so far so good (one month now since I began setting up the ooma--and I still haven't got all of its advertised features working).

I'm going to put the following question in a new thread titled "Call Waiting isn't working" in the "Installation" section on this forum:
Now I have a question about accessing call waiting: My wife tells me that when she tries to access the waiting call, upon pressing the flash button, she hears the ooma jingle--and then the dial tone! The original call remaining accessible (the waiting call is lost). Anyone know why this is? Is there a solution, or does one have to forego call waiting with an integrated number setup?
My phone service (AT&T) has call waiting (and caller ID) which works (but not via the ooma hub).
Syd