This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#37368 by Davesworld
Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:55 pm
Groundhound wrote:If you have "enable fax mode" checked that may make echo worse.

Yes, some talk about the g.711 codec like it's the best thing since sliced bread, it isn't and it's not the best codec for fax either but at least faxing is possible with it so there is a good chance fax will actually work.

As far as voice quality, the MOS score of the g.711 is not much different than the iLBC codec and this test is carried out using a carrier grade internet connection with a lot of double blind A to B comparison, cable and dsl definitely are NOT carrier grade! If your internet connection is not T something, you definitely don't have a carrier grade internet connection. Most of us can't really afford this type of connection, they start at 200 bucks a month.

The iLBC codec is a darn good voice only codec and is far more forgiving to lousy internet connections and in some cases will sound better than the g.711 codec in less than optimum conditions. I prefer it slightly over the g.729 codec commonly used for voice only. Just because the other party tells you it does sound different when you switch to fax (g.711) mode does not mean guaranteed to sound better and unless you do double blind tests with a lot of people, it's likely more suggestive than objective.

I also hate to see people using unnecessary bandwidth just for voice calls given the increasing popularity of Ooma. No, I am not part of the iLBC design team although it was one of the features that actually attracted me to Ooma since it lends itself better to be used overseas if traveling or sending to a loved one.
#37501 by cuyeda
Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:19 pm
[quote="Groundhound]For anyone here to help you will need to provide more info. How is your Telo connected to your router & modem? Are you using any QoS settings? Do you have your phone connected directly to the Telo's phone port or are you connecting it somewhere else in your home on the same wire pair as your DSL? Can you run the test at http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html and post the results from the Advanced tab?[/quote]

Groundhound, thanks for the reply. After further testing, day two, the echo/jitter seems to have disappeared. Day one did have a low internet download speed, but day two seems to be a bit faster, and may be due to the dsl provider at my location. I don't understand the QoS settings, but no, I am not using it at the moment now that it is working. Appreciate the feedback, and all is well so far in the OOMA world.
#38214 by moosbrth
Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:45 pm
wildbull5 wrote:I have same "echo" problem on Ooma phones during conversation. I put a DSL phone line filter that I have from AT&T then the echo gone. Try it!!!

Is your DSL filter still working for you? I tried it and thought it worked but another call had echo. I leave it on there kind of like a Chinese good luck piece and cross my fingers on every call.

Thanks, John
#76833 by dprem
Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:38 am
Echo is my biggest problem, if not resolved thinking of moving back to att

I have connected to ooma using a dsl filter

DSL provider att
Modem westell
router Netgear wndr3700

Connected to ooma from netgear

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.1 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.2 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 4708240 bps
Upload speed: 654080 bps
Download quality of service: 76 %
Upload quality of service: 97 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 349 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 23 ms
Average round trip time to server: 23 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 5120000bps
Route concurrency: 1.0874552
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 22794776bps
#76839 by thunderbird
Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:57 am
dprem:
Read through the following post tread for problems caused by and fixes for Netgear routers. Many people have problems with the Netgear+wndr3700 Router and VoIP systems.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10351&hilit=Netgear+wndr3700

Also you phone may be adding to the problem:

Information Only:
I was using a G. E. Model 25942EE4-C 5.8 GHz cordless phone set when I started using Ooma as our home's phone provider. I was having delay and echo problems so I purchased and installed a Panasonic KX-TG6544B DECT 6.0 PLUS set of cordless phones. The Panasonic DECT 6 Plus cordless phones mostly cured our delay and echo problems. (I did other things/adjustment that helped also).
Saturday I saw the old G. E. 5.8 GHz box, so I took the base and one phone and connected it to our homes phone wiring in the basement, in addition to the existing DECT 6 Plus phones. Sunday morning when my wife was making phone calls to China, she complained about having a echo, heard only on her end of the call. I went downstairs and disconnected the phone line to the Cordless G. E. 5.8 GHz Base. Echo was still present. Than I removed power from the G. E. cordless 5.8 GHz base and the echo went away.

Wikipedia Says:
"Some cordless phones advertised as 5.8 GHz actually transmit from base to phone on 5.8 GHz and transmit from phone to base on 2.4 GHz or 900 MHz, to conserve battery life inside the phone."

Vabout.com Says: http://voip.about.com/od/voipbasics/a/f ... uality.htm
"Phone frequencies
The frequency of your IP phone may cause interference with other VoIP equipment. There are many cases where people using 5.8 GHz phones have been getting voice quality problems. When all troubleshooting tricks failed, changing the phone to one with a lower frequency (e.g. 2.4 GHz) solved the problem."

Epinions says: http://www.epinions.com/content_1277730948
"What's with the new DECT?
As I've alluded to above, the new DECT phones are often confused with being 6Ghz phones due to the "DECT 6.0' label on the boxes. The DECT phones operate in the unregulated 1.9Ghz frequency, where devices have to negotiate amongst themselves for air time. Right now, the main advantages of the 1.9Ghz range is it does not overlap with computer WiFi signals (2.4Ghz) and is far enough away from microwave signals that your 20 year old leaky microwave won't shut it down. DECT phones will have a better 'real world' range because of this, and won't jam up your home Wireless B/G/N router. The security measures on DECT are solid, but as I've said before, if you've got the equipment to crack any digital signal, you're probably NASA.

In short, DECT is the no-brainer choice for most people. The phones are feature-rich and the play well with others. "
#76850 by EA PA
Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:40 pm
Thunderbird

I tried on my new DECT 6.0 plugged directly into OOMA with everything else disconnected - made 1 call to see if the delay to cell phone (1 hears one does not for 10 seconds) went away based on our previous threads of the 5.8 / 2.4 Ghz interference issues.

Unfortunately, fail - that same issue remains. Somewhat demoralized, I discontinued testing.

Ill try more tonight and tomorrow to see if overall improvements are apparent.
#76851 by thunderbird
Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:46 pm
EA PA wrote:Thunderbird

I tried on my new DECT 6.0 plugged directly into OOMA with everything else disconnected - made 1 call to see if the delay to cell phone (1 hears one does not for 10 seconds) went away based on our previous threads of the 5.8 / 2.4 Ghz interference issues.

Unfortunately, fail - that same issue remains. Somewhat demoralized, I discontinued testing.

Make sure when you test that every other phone is disconnected and unplugged from power. When my 5.8 MHz phone line is unplugged, but base is connected to power, I still have the problem. When the base is disconnected from power, my problem goes away.
#76852 by EA PA
Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:48 pm
thunderbird wrote:
EA PA wrote:Thunderbird

Make sure when you test that every other phone is disconnected and unplugged from power. When my 5.8 MHz phone line is unplugged, but base is connected to power, I still have the problem. When the base is disconnected from power, my problem goes away.

will do
#77606 by Trinimd
Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:40 am
I have bright house and they have never heard of JITTER

My jitter is 7. I was told that ooma requires it to be as low as 5.

NO idea what to do. Getting echos. Bright house tech support has no idea about Jitter.