This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#34292 by thurman
Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:10 am
I have an ooma Telo and the QoS settings allow setting of a down and up speed.

Testing my line with these set to zero I see down in about 1Mb and up is 356Kb/s. If I then set the down to 280 and retest the measured value drops to about 220 to 240. Obviously what is happeing is the ooma is throttling the outbound data traffic from the computer so that it has 60 or so Kb/s reserve subtracted from whatever I set for the download QOS speed.

What I don't understand is why this is throttling the data even when I am not making a phone call. Why would it not just allow a full speed connection when no phone call is being attempted?

When I had vonage and ran speed tests during calls I could see that the line speed dropped during the call but resumed when I hung up.

SO is this always on-throttling specific to the ooma telo?
#34293 by murphy
Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:53 am
QOS is broken in the current firmware release.
#34295 by thurman
Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:07 am
murphy wrote:QOS is broken in the current firmware release.

Thanks, so has ooma acknowledged this? and when are we likely to see a fix? Hopefully I don't actually need to do anything to get the fix.

Now when you say broken do you mean, that the settings are not improving my QoS? (I was fiddling with the settings because my outbound voice quality has been breaking up). or that as I pointed out the ooma device is throttling my data speed even when it is not neccesary?
#34297 by murphy
Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:26 am
It throttles all of the time instead of just when a call is in progress.