This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#33363 by mmontier
Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:49 pm
Guys, it's like Deja vu. I have a cablemodem -> Hub -> DD-WRT setup. The QOS of the hub is great and I'm happy with the call quality (512kb upstream, 5Mb down). But, when I but the hub behind the router, it sounds poor. I tried the QOS settings using the MAC ID. It didn't seem to help.

What I want to do is be able to forward my slingbox and camera. I can't get it to work and have tried all the same stuff you guys did. I'm intrigued by the previous fellow who said he has a media server and secure portal working? What's your setup. If you get an answer to the open ticket too, please let us know. It just seems that neither port forwarding nor DMZ work.

THanks!
#34858 by leinerd
Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:27 am
I got a call from Ooma higher level tech support. He confirmed that DMZ doesn't work but said some people have been able to port forward. He said this has been a know issue for months and there is no timetable for fixing it.

Has anyone gotten port forwarding to their router working?

--Dave
#34863 by murphy
Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:18 am
Put the ooma behind your router and you won't have a problem.
That's where mine is and it works fine.
#34864 by leinerd
Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:40 am
murphy wrote:Put the ooma behind your router and you won't have a problem.
That's where mine is and it works fine.

Yes, that's where it is now. The problem is I can't use the better QoS functions of the hub. To use the QoS on my router, it always deallocates the BW needed by the Ooma whereas the QoS on the hub only reduces the bandwidth when I'm using it for a call.
#34870 by Groundhound
Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:22 am
I have my Telo in front of my router, and the DMZ function on the Telo seems to work. I have my router in the Telo's DMZ and I can forward selected ports from my router to my computer. Testing with the "Simple Port Tester" available here: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2009/08/16/test-open-port-forwarding-for-your-router-or-computer/. I no longer have my Hub set up to test unfortunately.
#34950 by conaanaa
Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:38 pm
Hi, I've also been having trouble forwarding ports on my router after installing an OOMA hub.

My setup is modem -> OOMA hub -> ZyXEL X-550 router. I also have a landline attached to the hub. I've been using the search function for a while now looking for a solution and I attempted the DHCP and DMZ configurations to pass traffic to my router, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Code: Select allDHCP Configuration
    Start Address:    172.27.35.2
    End Address:    172.27.35.2
DMZ     
    DMZ Address:    172.27.35.2
Quality Of Service (?)    
    Upstream Internet Speed (Kbps):       384      (0 to disable) ****I left this on default****
    Downstream Internet Speed (Kbps):     0   (0 to disable) ****I left this on default****

Right now my router is in static IP mode and I manually set it to 172.27.35.2, but I don't know if I am supposed to put it in dynamic IP or PPPoE. Also, I'm not sure what people mean when they are forwarding ports 80, 5990, 433, etc. I am trying to forward port 6112 for a game and can't get it to be forwarded. I've seen my external IP on whatismyip.org and it is different from any of these IPs. I have forwarded 6112 on my router and also on the OOMA setup page:

Code: Select allPort Forwarding     
Rule    Ports    Type    Forwarded To    
1   6112        TCP & UDP    172.27.35.2

As well there are some settings on my router I am unsure about. In the DHCP page I have the DHCP servers enabled, it says

Code: Select allDHCP Settings
DHCP IP Address Range : 100 to 199 (addresses within the LAN subnet)
DHCP Lease Time : 1440 (minutes)
Always broadcast : Yes (compatibility for some DHCP Clients)

There is also a router firewall, and I don't know what these settings mean.

Code: Select allFirewall Settings
Enable SPI : Yes
Enable DMZ : Yes
DMZ IP Address : 192.168.10.***    ****I reset my router, hub and modem, and I thought this was supposed to change to 172.27.35.2?****

Also, would it be recommended to put the OOMA hub behind the router? I saw that people had to configure a lot of priorities and such, but if anything can solve this problem it would be much appreciated! I would be willing to slightly compromise sound quality for the ability to forward ports :P Anyone have any information? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks in advance :)
#46014 by mmontier
Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:44 pm
OK, got mine working - here's how. Put it Cablemodem -> Ooma-> Router. Told Ooma that DHCP range was 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.2 (Basically forcing it to give my router the only IP address). Then I put that address in the DMZ. AFter that, just used the port forwarding on my router as usual. Worked w/out problems.
#46037 by bobcarrier
Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:35 pm
Support is non-responsive. See emai I have sent four plus times.
What is the problem with the blacklist? Why is your response not sent? Service will keep you in business!
Bob
#46039 by bobcarrier
Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:37 pm
Interesting replies to "Bobby B" who I assume is an employee is block. Support is non-responsive!
What is the problem with the blacklist? Why is your response not sent? Service will keep you in business!
Bob
#46047 by leinerd
Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:11 pm
mmontier wrote:OK, got mine working - here's how. Put it Cablemodem -> Ooma-> Router. Told Ooma that DHCP range was 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.2 (Basically forcing it to give my router the only IP address). Then I put that address in the DMZ. AFter that, just used the port forwarding on my router as usual. Worked w/out problems.

Do you have a hub or telo? Ooma support said it sometimes works on the hub and sometimes doesn't. Mine doesn't.

-- Dave