This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#30119 by Stackowax
Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:52 am
I'm getting periodic "bursts" of static on the line and trying to troubleshoot if the problem lies in the Telo or elsewhere. It sounds something like what you would hear if you were using a CB radio with one of those microphones that you toggle off/on as you talk. The static burst sound more or less like what it would sound like each time you depressed the switch on the microphone.

What I've done thus far are the following:

Connected the DSL modem directly to the box on the outside of the house (eliminating household wiring as a potential problem).

Went to a Corded phone.

Connected the Telo before the router and then tried it again after the router (voice quality is infinitely better after the router but the sound remains).

In each case the static bursts have persisted. FWIW, I didn't have these problems with the Hub. But I changed over to the Telo at the same time my dry-loop DSL came on-line so can't say for sure if the Telo is the problem or not.

Speaking of my dry-loop line the latter is connected to a module within the box on the outside of the house that says "no electronics". I'm not sure what this means but I'm wondering if it might be the source of the problem. For a picture of the module, see: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2753/4058367899_e1761017be_o.png

Strangely, the problem does not seem to be present when I call Ooma customer service.

Any ideas?
#32239 by dawall2002
Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:51 pm
I just recently hooked up my Telo. The first few calls were great. We are more inclinded to use our Cell phones and have not started to fully appreciate the the Telo yet. However, just today I had a similar issue. On some calls...but not all. Generally there is a static burst for ~ second and then again a pop in ~ five seconds, then it recycles continuously. The sound quality itself is quite good otherwize. I made a number of calls in a row and on the third or fouth call no noise issues at all, then made another call and it was back. The volume of the static is unacceptable, at best, it will have to be resolved. I will call support is no forum input on this.

Sorry for no answer to your question
#32485 by dawall2002
Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:25 pm
I'm answering my own repy. Found that I had set enable fax mode shortly after the first day or two. I have now turned fax mode back to off and have not had a buzz/pop call since. Sound quality is now great again. Hopefully that was the solution.

Dan