This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#29448 by Cp1977
Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:20 am
So I have used Ooma with no problems in multiple locations. I set up our hub and scout on a cable modem line with 10Mbs Down ans 1Mbs Up. This is the highest connection I have used and we have never had any problems with the quality. The problem we are having is that I can hear the other person and they cannot hear me. This happens 99% of the time when someone calls us and about 90% of the time when I call someone. They can hear me for about 20-30 seconds and then I cut out. Please help as the cable company was just out and found no problems (they did replace our modem just in case) but they do not know why this would be happening. Also, no one else is on the internet when this happens. One last piece of info is we are using a Netgear wireless AIO modem/router. There is no way to adjust QoS on the modem/router but I do not think that is the issue.

Thank you in advance for all of your help.
#29450 by WayneDsr
Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:33 am
Let me be the first to welcome you to the forums. There's quite a few users here that can help you out.
The first question everyone is going to ask you is about your setup.
It looks to me like you have ooma behind the router, connecting to the router like you would a pc.
Am I right?
If not, is your setup
modem-->router-->ooma
OR
modem-->ooma-->router

Also do a VOIP speed test here http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html
Speed is just a small factor of quality VOIP and you have enough speed, there must be something else wrong.
If you could post ALL of the results from your test here, we can have a better idea what's going on.
It looks from the get-go you are having upload issues, since the caller says you cut out.

Let us know.

Wayne
#29462 by Cp1977
Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:20 pm
Thank you so much for the quick reply. Here are the results:
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 2.1 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.3 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.4 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.9

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 4066520 bps
Upload speed: 1045680 bps
Download quality of service: 24 %
Upload quality of service: 89 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 454 ms
Average download pause: 7 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 89 ms
Average round trip time to server: 93 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 12000000bps
Route concurrency: 2.950926
Download TCP forced idle: 53 %
Maximum route speed: 5890784bps

I see that my QoS is very, very low. This test had the highest (24%) of the three I ran. What can I do to improve that? You are correct that the cable runs into the Modem/Router and from there into the hub. I ordered my own seperate modem and router so I wonder if that will help with the problem versus the cable co.'s all-in-one unit.