This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#27004 by Stackowax
Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:04 pm
I've switched to a DSL only line and terminated my landline phone service. Prior to this, the landline and DSL line were shared. The speed of the shared DSL line was advertised as up to download speed 1.5 mbs (or kbs?) and the download speed of the new line is "up to" 3 mbs (kbs?). In any event, while the download speed of the new line are faster, it doesn't come very close to the advertised maximum rate. More troubling, perhaps, is that when I run the VOIP Speed Test (http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html) the download QoS isn't that great (although the upload QoS is pretty good). Also the TCP delay is, I gather, not a very good figure if one hopes for good voice quality. There may be other troubling things about this report--I'm not exactly an expert on these things.

In any event, is there anything I can do to improve the numbers below. For example, do DSL modems vary in quality--would a "better" modem improve things (the one I'm using was provided to me by my ISP [Earthlink]). Alternatively, can ask my ISP provider to do (Earthlink) to do something to improve the download QoS and/or TCP delay?

VoIP test statistics (direct connection to DSL modem)
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.0 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.9 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.2

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 2306864 bps
Upload speed: 723800 bps
Download quality of service: 39 %
Upload quality of service: 97 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 481 ms
Average download pause: 4 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 103 ms
Average round trip time to server: 107 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 2800000bps
Route concurrency: 1.213769
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 5090096bps
#27020 by southsound
Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:13 pm
A couple of things might be at issue from a telco standpoint. If you are too far from the RTE or central office your DSL can be limited and that might be a cause for your lower speed. You also might want to check to see how your DSL modem is connected to the telco. I always recommend a clean pair that is not connected to anything else. You can use an existing line or a new one - but it should go directly from the telco's demarcation or network interface box to the jack that supplies the modem. If the house wiring is old, you may have quad or 4-wire NON twisted cable. The best is to use a twisted pair Cat 3 to Cat 5e cable. The twisted conductors keep out interference. If you have been using a scout on your dsl wiring, that could also give you issues - DSL and HPNA don't play well together. That's why it is so important to have a clean pair.
#27042 by Stackowax
Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:20 pm
southsound wrote:A couple of things might be at issue from a telco standpoint. If you are too far from the RTE or central office your DSL can be limited and that might be a cause for your lower speed. You also might want to check to see how your DSL modem is connected to the telco. I always recommend a clean pair that is not connected to anything else. You can use an existing line or a new one - but it should go directly from the telco's demarcation or network interface box to the jack that supplies the modem. If the house wiring is old, you may have quad or 4-wire NON twisted cable. The best is to use a twisted pair Cat 3 to Cat 5e cable. The twisted conductors keep out interference. If you have been using a scout on your dsl wiring, that could also give you issues - DSL and HPNA don't play well together. That's why it is so important to have a clean pair.

Does length matter? All other things being equal, it would be better to have the Modem/Telo/Router on the second floor. But doing that while maintaining some degree of aesthetic appeal is probably going to add 50 feet or so to the cable length when compared to doing the same thing on the first floor.
#27049 by southsound
Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:46 pm
Stackowax wrote: Does length matter? All other things being equal, it would be better to have the Modem/Telo/Router on the second floor. But doing that while maintaining some degree of aesthetic appeal is probably going to add 50 feet or so to the cable length when compared to doing the same thing on the first floor.

50' should not matter at all. I was concerned if you at the fringe of the RTE's capabilities. But that said, the quality of the wiring is important as is whether or not you have anything else hanging off that connection. In my case, I still have a landline with a lot of things tied to it - fax machine, two ReplayTV's, my Dish receiver, 4 cordless bases and 2 wired phones. I had so much on the line I used a DSL splitter to separate the signals. In your case, you have dry looped your DSL so the important thing is to just make sure the cable is good and nothing else is there to interfere with the signal. You might also want to log into your modem with your pc and see what is happening in the log file.