This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#26639 by crwmlw
Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:59 am
Hi all. Have had ooma for a few months now and recently the qaulity has been pretty bad. On my home phone (ooma) when receiving a call the other party can here me but I cant hear them. This has been going on for well over 2 weeks and not getting any better.I have comcast cable internet. The modem goes to the hub then to router then to pc, I tried hooking up the hub last and that made it worse.Any ideas please?

Quality Of Service (?)
Upstream Internet Speed (Kbps): (0 to disable) is at 384
Downstream Internet Speed (Kbps): (0 to disable) is at 0

Reserved Bandwidth for Calls (Kbps): 40 70 130 (default) 160 185 215 is at 130
#26697 by crwmlw
Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:56 am
VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.5 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.6 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 6991696 bps
Upload speed: 5603624 bps
Download quality of service: 89 %
Upload quality of service: 94 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 52 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 77 ms
Average round trip time to server: 78 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 15200000bps
Route concurrency: 2.1740077
Download TCP forced idle: 56 %
Maximum route speed: --
#26706 by Groundhound
Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:16 pm
Those stats look Ok. How often does the problem occur? Every call or some rough %. Is it certain times of the day?

Assuming your Hub is connected directly to your modem, you can try putting a value into "Downstream Internet Speed" of approximately 80% of your rated download speed from Comcast (not including Powerboost), but if the call audio is dropping out completely I'd be surprised if it solved the problem.
#26718 by crwmlw
Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:44 pm
Ok thanks. I wish I could narrow it down for the help. The last 3 days its been almost every call I received. Maybe 3 to 5 times per day since I dont use the home phone that much and as far as times of day are concerned its anytime of day.
#26720 by crwmlw
Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:46 pm
So I assume if all the stats look ok it is something I have to deal with? I had vonage a few years ago when it first came out and I had the same problem, so bad I had to go back to at&t landline but its so frickin expensive now I cant go back to paying 65 buckas a month.
#26721 by Groundhound
Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:59 pm
Has Comcast finished the DOCSIS 3.0 upgrades in your area (your available speed tiers recently increased)? If not and they are making network changes in your area it could account for some flaky performance from time to time. Next time you encounter the problem you should rerun the test immediately afterwords to see if the test results are still good.