This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#23820 by tivoboy
Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:40 pm
I want to try to increase the call quality. If I change the quality area, 128kps, 160kps, 180kps, etc., will this ACTUALLY increase the audio codec that is used for call quality, or will it just increase the bandwidth used, in order to have a better "quality" experience, less dropouts, etc.?

I'd LIKE to have it provide a better TALK QUALITY, but if changing this setting isn't going to do anything, why bother?

thx
#23848 by ggilman
Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:29 pm
Neither of your guesses are quite right. It will not change the codec. Also, it won't change the actual bandwidth used. What it will do is change how much QoS reserves for voice transmission. So, if you are using both phone lines (assuming Premier), one of them with the fax (*99, does change codec), you'd need to have a higher setting here than if you were just using one audio channel. It really just tells QoS how much bandwidth usage that you might use so it can keep it free.