This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#23666 by tkramer
Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:17 am
I'm debating if moving to Telo is worth while for me. I currently have DECT 6.0 phones hanging off the hub to service the house. I have a Scout but it's not connected. What would I be getting over what I have today? Is the call quality better?

I'm able to maintain the address book in my main phone and push it to my others. The voice mail light works on all phones so I'm a little confused what i would be gaining to upgrade.

Thanks!
#23669 by Groundhound
Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:31 am
Telo's call quality is very good, but so is the hub. The "HD" quality sound promised in the upcoming handsets will be for calls to other phones that support the G722 "HD" codec. I guess for a current Ooma basic user it boils down to looking at the "top ten" list in this blog post and deciding if those interest you enough to upgrade: http://www.ooma.com/blog/2009/09/30/hello-ooma-telo/.
#23671 by hpepper
Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:34 am
The call quality is supposed to be better on the Telo... a different Codec is used. I have both now and I can't tell the difference, although my old hub is very good quality.

Really, the difference is the ability to use the Telo handset. It is also Dect 6 but connects wirelessly to the Telo. It also has some additional features - a second line with Premeire, VM info on the display as well as some other things along with some future capabilities.

Maybe others can chime in with additional info as well.
#23676 by WayneDsr
Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:43 am
At this point in time, call quality is equal. The Telo phone may make the difference, but it has yet to be released.
The Telo's engine is much more powerful, so its future quality could improve much over time.

Wayne
#23678 by Groundhound
Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:45 am
This doesn't really apply to you since you don't use your scout, but for those who do I think the Telo handset will offer better sound quality than what is currently experienced by many with phones connected to the scout. The scout uses HPNA to communicate with the hub and needs an isolated wire pair between hub and scout to get good quality sound, even then some users can detect a reduction in quality with the scout as compared with the hub. This issue should go away with the Telo handset.
#23679 by Aveamantium
Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:47 am
By default both the Hub and Telo us the iLBC Codec unless you hit *99 then they both use G.711. Sounds like a different Codec may be used in conjunction with the handset? Anyway, I'd say the voice quality is about the same. As of today, I still prefer the Hub over the Telo since they Telo is still new and Ooma is still in the "fine tuning" process. In the long run I think the Telo will overtake the Hub in quality and features but as it sits today they are pretty much the same.

Just saw Groundhound's comment before I posted and I completely agree about the Scout issue. I've never had the greatest quality with the scout (static on the non-scout side of the call) and I'm sure the handsets will fix this issue!
#23822 by tivoboy
Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:44 pm
Is there a way to use higher quality on the HUB, but all the time, or does one have to do it EVERY CALL? I changed the quality setting in the status page of the hub, to 180kps, will that make a difference in actual CALL QUALITY
#24015 by inrame
Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:46 pm
Groundhound wrote:Telo's call quality is very good, but so is the hub. The "HD" quality sound promised in the upcoming handsets will be for calls to other phones that support the G722 "HD" codec. I guess for a current Ooma basic user it boils down to looking at the "top ten" list in this blog post and deciding if those interest you enough to upgrade: http://www.ooma.com/blog/2009/09/30/hello-ooma-telo/.

i have both at the moment and i concur with Groundhound
#25008 by bw1
Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:18 pm
tivoboy wrote:Is there a way to use higher quality on the HUB, but all the time, or does one have to do it EVERY CALL?

Not at this time, you have to dial *99 to use the G.711 codec and you can only do that on outbound calls.

tivoboy wrote:I changed the quality setting in the status page of the hub, to 180kps, will that make a difference in actual CALL QUALITY

No, that only changes the bandwidth that Ooma reserves during a call.