This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#23446 by foxkid
Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:59 pm
I am an amateur radio operator, and am sensitive both to sources of RF interferance with my radio communications, and with the possibility of disrupting a devices function when I transmit at high power levels.

I see from the OOMA web site that some form of digital network protocol is used over the phone wiring between the HUB and the SCOUT. Are there technical details available about this protocol, such as the spectrum used and power levels?

Also, to what standards are the HUB and SCOUT built to reject interference from other sources? To what frequencies might they be most susceptable?

Best Regards,

Carl, K1UZK
#23449 by niknak
Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:02 pm
the digital signalling is HPNA
i believe it is some kind of Frequency Division Multiplexing, I'm sure you can find much info about it on line
#23454 by foxkid
Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:08 pm
To quote from the ARRL web site: (Americal Radio Relay League)

HPNA networks computers within a residence or business using existing telephone wiring. The HPNA specification includes spectral protection for the present HF international amateur bands within its frequency range of up to 9.5 MHz. Dr Strauss noted that this protection was originally proposed by individuals within HPNA and that ARRL's participation and cooperation was an important part of the committee's decision to offer more protection to the Amateur Radio Service than was required by the radiated emissions limits in Part 15.

Good answer.

-- Carl, K1UZK
#23455 by murphy
Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:10 pm
The hub and scout communicate using HPNA. The specifications for HPNA should be available on the internet. There are only a few companies that make the chip sets that implement HPNA. HPNA is a standardized protocol.
#23458 by niknak
Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:13 pm
sounds like the ARRL was right on top of it! good luck! and welcome to ooma