This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#19396 by dmwlbk
Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:18 am
HELP! I have an echo of my own voice on calls placed to my primary ooma number, and only from local landlines... I can reproduce this at will by calling my ooma phone from my office (about 3 miles from my home). This will not occur on my second ooma line, or on calls from cell phones, or long distance calls. Very distracting!

Any ideas?
#19397 by niknak
Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:23 am
echo of your own voice is usually due to feedback from your handset. If there is a way to turn down the volume on the offending phone try that.
Otherwise, try temporarily replacing the offending phone with another to see if the problem remains
#19398 by hpepper
Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:40 am
dmwlbk,
I searched your other posts and noticed you had a problem with that primary number before, being you couldn't hear ring-back on that number, but your second number was fine. Did support help you with the ringback problem or did it work itself out? I wonder if you have had problems on that primary line all along.

Also, if you could provide your setup information and ISP speed test results, there are many here who might be able to help out more knowing more details.
#19399 by niknak
Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:54 am
The problem could also have to do with the echo cancellation that is used by the telco partner ooma is using with that number. In that case you'd have to call ooma cs and open a ticket
#19401 by southsound
Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:54 am
niknak wrote:The problem could also have to do with the echo cancellation that is used by the telco partner ooma is using with that number. In that case you'd have to call ooma cs and open a ticket

niknak brings up a great point. ooma uses "partners" to connect their system to the telephone network. If it is a problem with ooma's partner they will be better able to resolve it if you keep a log of offending numbers, time and date of the call, and degree of echo. I had a similar problem with my main number when I first came to ooma. We tried different numbers, different phones, and only after I was able to provide the call logs could they address things. Since ooma and the partner did some adjustments and routing changes, call quality has been stellar. It is worth the effort to keep the logs and of course, when calling support, don't be happy unless they are willing to escalate the problem to a higher level here in the states. I don't think the people who normally answer the support calls have the ability to check logs, etc. from their off-shore location.
#19405 by dmwlbk
Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:27 am
niknak wrote:echo of your own voice is usually due to feedback from your handset. If there is a way to turn down the volume on the offending phone try that.
Otherwise, try temporarily replacing the offending phone with another to see if the problem remains

There is no way this issue is the phone... The echo happens ONLY on calls from local landlines to my primary ooma number. Works fine w/cell calls, long distance calls (outside area code), and calls to my secondary ooma number (using the same phone).

I have had ooma for 3 months before porting my primary number b/c I wanted to be sure it worked as advertised, and it does work great on the number that was not ported.
#19407 by niknak
Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:38 am
...the echo happens ONLY on calls from local landlines to my primary ooma number...

this can be due to the local phone carrier not using proper echo cancellation techniques

keep logs of calls as Southsound suggested and report to ooma cs
#19417 by dmwlbk
Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:38 am
hpepper wrote:dmwlbk,
I searched your other posts and noticed you had a problem with that primary number before, being you couldn't hear ring-back on that number, but your second number was fine. Did support help you with the ringback problem or did it work itself out? I wonder if you have had problems on that primary line all along.

Also, if you could provide your setup information and ISP speed test results, there are many here who might be able to help out more knowing more details.

hpepper,
I still have the ringback issue, as well as this issue. Both issues will consistently occur on calls placed to my primary ooma # from local landlines. This is the # I had ported. Outgoing calls, calls from cell phones, and calls from outside the area code work fine. My other ooma # also works flawlessly.

I do have 2 ooma cs tickets, with not much help. I would be happy if they just swapped my primary and secondary lines.

My config is Time Warner Cable internet 5-6Mbs down, and 400Kbs up. Also, to try to rectify the issue I went into the ooma settings on the device and allowed the max bandwidth for the ooma device (I don't remember the actual setting). Nothing changed that I could notice.
#19418 by bryanlyle
Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:58 am
dmwlbk wrote:
hpepper wrote:dmwlbk,

hpepper,
I still have the ringback issue, as well as this issue. Both issues will consistently occur on calls placed to my primary ooma # from local landlines. This is the # I had ported. Outgoing calls, calls from cell phones, and calls from outside the area code work fine. My other ooma # also works flawlessly.

I do have 2 ooma cs tickets, with not much help. I would be happy if they just swapped my primary and secondary lines.

My config is Time Warner Cable internet 5-6Mbs down, and 400Kbs up. Also, to try to rectify the issue I went into the ooma settings on the device and allowed the max bandwidth for the ooma device (I don't remember the actual setting). Nothing changed that I could notice.

Same situation here. The # that I had ported over echos on just about every call from a local landline. My secondary number (which has a different exchange) works fine.

Ooma has been working with me for months on this with no resolution yet.
#19419 by southsound
Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:02 pm
dmwlbk, maybe you missed my suggestion above. If so, I've gone into a little more detail here. I also had a terrible echo problem. Rather than go over the details in this post, you can read about it here. http://forums.ooma.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=784

ooma uses partners to connect the POTS world with their VOIP world. These partners rely on echo cancellation algorithms and hardware as well as ooma's routing information. When things don't go well they can't do much to determine the cause without logs of the problem calls. I can tell you from experience that they can and will fix your problem if they have the proper information. My service has been stellar for several months now. A simple call or two to customer support to open a ticket is not sufficient interaction to get the job done. JMHO - YMMV.