This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#20735 by Stackowax
Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:41 am
Any suggestions as to how to narrow down whether it is the ISP or the modem (provided by the ISP) or the router?

FWIW, the modem is probably five years old now. ISP is Earthlink DSL. Router is an Airport Extreme (and the Ooma Hub is between the DSL modem and the Airport Extreme).
#20783 by Stackowax
Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:48 pm
niknak wrote:I read your post that you provided the link to....
your download QOS is 52% which is not good
also your TCP delay is 250ms also not good. anything over 100ms and voice quality starts degrading

you basically have issues with your network, either the ISP, or your modem or router may be the problem

So here are the numbers with the Ooma Hub and Airport Express completely out of the picture (e.g., the computer hooked up directly to the DSL modem).

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2501/3932825438_0d3c3d722d_o.png

If anything, the numbers seem a bit worse (especially the TCP delay). This would seem to indicate (I think) that it is either the DSL modem or its the DSL line. Three questions then:

1. Are DSL providers obligated to provide a certain level of line quality and/or can they control the line quality?

2. Is it possible to buy a DSL only modem (usually when I've seen DSL modems in stores they are integrated with routers)?

3. Is a DSL only line likely to improve the connection quality when compared to the shared DSL/Phone line?
#20786 by MakoCSH
Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:19 pm
ISP's provide bandwidth on a "best effort" basis. I.e. they're not required by law to actually privide a consistent stream of data at the advertised speed.

Looking at those results I'd be more worried about the latency then the download QoS.
#20816 by niknak
Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:20 pm
IAWTP about your latency issue. You need to complain to your ISP about their service - maybe they have issues with their local loop or in the central office that can be fixed

...Is it possible to buy a DSL only modem (usually when I've seen DSL modems in stores they are integrated with routers...

I used to use a Westell DSL modem before I got FIOS - modem only
#20838 by RN09
Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:32 pm
From my experiences, the calls quality depends on internet speed. I have 768/368. Before I could watched netflix stream and my wife on international calls at the same time with no problems. Now I having probems with my internet speed. It goes down to 300 - 400kbp. If do both same time the call quality is broken. Web browser and phone same time are ok though. Been working with Verizon on DSL since.