This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#16020 by whatshesaid
Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:42 am
Am hoping to improve my call quality with my Ooma, which we installed earlier this summer and are still trying to "get right." I've noticed echo consistently on my end. Sometimes it improves the longer I'm on the call, sometimes not. Sometimes the person on the other end says the call quality is bad, sometimes they tell me it is fine on their end. I haven't really been able to see a pattern between long distance and local, landline and cell phone, but suppose I could start keeping a specific call diary if necessary.

Have looked through some forum posts, and unfortunately lots of the terminology is beyond me so haven't been able to perform much troubleshooting or self-analysis of my setup. Here is what I DO know-- thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions you have for me:

My CPU connects to my Router. There is another cable going from the Router to the Ooma hub. The Ooma hub is then connected to the Modem. Finally, the Modem is connected to the wall.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 22.9 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 7.6 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.8

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 638832 bps
Upload speed: 109848 bps
Download quality of service: 92 %
Upload quality of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 132 ms
Average download pause: 17 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 84 ms
Average round trip time to server: 91 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 656000bps
Route concurrency: 1.0268741
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 6241424bps
#16130 by lilolme2121
Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:29 pm
Verizon is the devil and I do NOT recommend their services....

but

I'm on Verizon FIOS with wireless router. Hooked Ooma up to back end of router, and cordless phone (bought for $19.00 at Fry's) and my call quality is excellent.

Still doesn't sound as good as my cell phone, but it is good enough to warrant me not complaining about it.
#16494 by whatshesaid
Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:25 am
Does anyone have any feedback for me on the scores I posted or the setup I described? Anything I can do to improve my call quality? To add insult to injury, I just got kicked off a (non-Ooma related) tech support call after a really long hold time because they couldn't hear me well enough to help me!!!
#16495 by atici
Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:38 am
Your VoIP test results look good to me. Assuming ooma hardware doesn't have some problem, every ooma device operates the same and therefore should sound the same. I would focus eliminating these as possible causes first: the phone (is it corded/cordless? Any possible interference), possible filtering at the router (did you test with ooma connected before the router: modem->ooma->router) ?
#16497 by whatshesaid
Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:44 am
The phone connected to the hub is corded (rectifying an earlier mistake). Our other phones are cordless.

I have not tried any different types of connections. I have read a lot on these forums about having things "before," and "behind" and "between" one another but I haven't been clear on exactly what that means, and which cables to move where.

My current set up, best I can describe it, is: My CPU connects to my Router. There is another cable going from the Router to the Ooma hub. The Ooma hub is then connected to the Modem. Finally, the Modem is connected to the wall.

Any help you could give in telling me which cable to disconnect from where and reconnect elsewhere would be much appreciated!
#16498 by southsound
Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:03 am
whatshesaid wrote:Does anyone have any feedback for me on the scores I posted or the setup I described? Anything I can do to improve my call quality? To add insult to injury, I just got kicked off a (non-Ooma related) tech support call after a really long hold time because they couldn't hear me well enough to help me!!!

I noticed that you really don't have a very high upload speed for DSL. I don't know if that is because you are on a very limited plan or if it is being throttled by your router. I might suggest a couple of things - others with greater networking knowledge may suggest others. First, could you plug your computer directly into the modem and run the speed test again, posting the numbers? If the upload is substatially greater, then the router or its adjustments may be a problem. Then, try connecting the ooma hub in between the modem and the router. The cable would go like this: modem <> modem connection on ooma then home connection on ooma <> router <> PC. What this does is to allow the ooma hub to decide what gets the first priority for connectivity. Also to be considered is what type of cordless phones you are using and if you have a wireless router or modem? Wireless doesn't play very well with any 2.4 ghz phone and most 5.8 ghz phones. What works best is the newer DECT 6.0 Uniden or Panasonic models. If you are using a 2.4 ghz phone, try unplugging it from the power supply and connecting a corded phone instead. Also, having the handset volume on some cordless phones will give you echo on your end. The ooma signal can be a little higher volume than some landline phones so you may need to reduce this.

If there is still a problem with the calls or with echo, I have some other suggestions - but for the meantime, try the above and post back to us.
#16499 by niknak
Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:10 am
...Does anyone have any feedback for me on the scores I posted or the setup I described? Anything I can do to improve my call quality?..

In general your test results are ok, the "jitter" numbers (packet delay)are a little high

Also your TCP delay is 132 - anything over 100 and your call quality is starting to degrade

botth of these factors are related more to your network rather than ooma

What kind of ISP do you have? cable or DSL?
cable isp bandwidth can vary depending upon who else in your neighborhood is on line
DSL is immune from this and provides more or less constant bandwidth

Based on your description you have your ooma in front of your router.
In this configuration the ooma will do QOS, so you may need to adjust the QOS numbers on the ooma setup page

you may want to switch and plug the ooma in to the router and plug the router to the modem (ooma behind the router) and rerun the tests and post your results
#16740 by whatshesaid
Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:13 am
Thanks much for your help.
To answer your questions: I am on DSL from AT&T-- it is the most basic speed and is fine for everything else I do (I don't watch much online video, but do notice some breaks on occasion). If my DSL speed is definitely causing my call quality problem, I can upgrade-- will cost $20 more/month so don't want to do it unless I definitely know I need to to solve my Ooma call quality problem.

Per Southsound's suggestion, I plugged my CPU directly into the modem and ran the WhichVOIP speed test again several times. Jitter was better, but download QOS varied from 5% to 92%, with the one below about average. TCP delay started at a bit over 200, and hit over 1,000! I'll post a sample of the new speed test below. Please let me know what my next step should be. Have not changed any setup connections yet.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 10.8 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 4.3 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.9

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 515248 bps
Upload speed: 107088 bps
Download quality of service: 48 %
Upload quality of service: 98 %
Maximum TCP delay: 1168 ms
Average download pause: 28 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 2 ms
Average round trip time to server: 2 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 38400000bps
Route concurrency: 74.52722
Maximum route speed: 262140000bps
#16742 by whatshesaid
Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:25 am
Is this weird? I hooked my CPU back up to my router and re-ran the speed test on both my desktop and laptop. Both tests had a high QOS. Jitter still high on one, TCP okay on that one but high on the other.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 16.9 ms laptop test; 1.2 ms desktop test
Jitter: server --> you: 6.7 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.4 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.6 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.6

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 649920 bps
Upload speed: 108296 bps
Download quality of service: 99 % laptop test, 96% desktop test
Upload quality of service: 93 % laptop test, 92% desktop test
Maximum TCP delay: 22 ms laptop test, 318 ms desktop test
Average download pause: 17 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 120 ms
Average round trip time to server: 195 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 656000bps
Route concurrency: 1.009355
Maximum route speed: 4369000bps
#16760 by Aveamantium
Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:16 pm
That website's qos is measuring how constant your bandwidth is at that particular time. Therefore if the ISP speed varies during the test (mine does constantly) you'll get bad qos scores. If you were on something like a T1 line, which has a "guaranteed" speed then you should get great qos statistics. My qos scores are terrible and my voice quality is fine.