This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#15505 by Groundhound
Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:39 am
Lately I've had a higher incidence of outbound calls that are garbled or have voice dropouts. I believe this to be a routing issue as opposed to an Internet connection issue, because if I stay on the call it will not get better – but if I hang up and immediately redial it is almost always perfect. Also my Internet connection scores consistently well on the whichvoip tests. If my assumption about routing is correct, does Ooma have the capability of detecting poor routes short of direct customer complaints? I've read that the hub selects from as many as five possible routes on each outbound call, but how intelligent is that algorithm?
#15527 by scottlindner
Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:34 pm
Seriously...

I had that happen to me twice but it was a long time ago. Exactly as you've described. It's almost unusable at first and no matter how long you wait it doesn't clear up, you call back and it's perfect.

Maybe we should start monitoring the IPs for good and bad calls?

Scott
#15530 by Groundhound
Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:08 pm
Not the right place for new feature suggestions, but if they had a way for people to score call quality in the log - with the default selection being good - then there would be a way to report problems of this type without calling tech support.
BTW - I tried to give my hub that IQ test, but it's still working on the first question.....
#15532 by scottlindner
Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:17 pm
I requested that feature a long time ago to score the quality of calls and one of the Ooma admins said they liked it and were considering it, and had considered it in the past.

It looks like I can configure my router to log the connections for outbound and inbound traffic. It is off by default, but this could help you track which of Ooma's servers is behaving, and which are causing you troubles. I'm using Tomato and I'm looking at the Administration / Logging page under Connection Logging.

Scott
#15541 by southsound
Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:49 pm
Groundhound and Scott,

You are both on the right track. I believe what you are seeing is a routing problem but it may be something to do with ooma's partners and not their servers. I think Scott's suggestion came up after I had done a manual tracking of a severe echo problem I had back in February. I took note of calls made and received, call quality, time and date. It took a lot of manual effort but paid off. ooma was able to adjust some of their routing and (I think) get their partners to do the same. When Scott brought up the ability to do this via the lounge it clicked with many of us. Bobby B seemed to love idea.

In the mean time, I'd say the manual log - or if Scott's idea of the router log works - is still the best way to bring it to ooma's attention. I'd wait until I had a number of bad calls - say 10 or so - before I'd call support and then I'd ask to have it escalated since most of the new folks won't have the ability to check ooma's logs against your calls. Let us know how things work out. :cool:
#15546 by Groundhound
Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:45 pm
southsound wrote:In the mean time, I'd say the manual log - or if Scott's idea of the router log works - is still the best way to bring it to ooma's attention. I'd wait until I had a number of bad calls - say 10 or so - before I'd call support and then I'd ask to have it escalated since most of the new folks won't have the ability to check ooma's logs against your calls. Let us know how things work out. :cool:

Right now the problem is just enough to get my attention, but not frequent enough to try to describe to support - that's why I was hoping to hear that Ooma has some internal method of measuring route quality. The router log is a good idea if the problem becomes more severe, but would require I put my hub behind my router - which I'd prefer not to do for now for reasons I've detailed in other threads.