This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#15315 by inspectorgene
Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:12 pm
Follow up to my original postings....

I finally figured out [I hope] what was wrong with my internet connection. I still hate AT$T, but this was my fault.

I had recently downloaded a bittorrent program to get access to an unusually large file, and lo' and behold, found out that is was still running in the background. [a noob at torrents]

I know...I know...STOOPID...STOOPID... : (

Shut down the program, and my VOIP scores went way up. I have made a few calls with the ooma, and it is working much better. A couple of stutters on the receiving party line, but nothing to get worked up about.

Gonna give it a few days to see what happens.
#15393 by grathke
Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:32 am
Thanks for following up with this and so gald you were able to get it working.

Don't feel badly about that kind of stuff. A lot of us here a newb's concerning ooma/voip, etc..

Be sure and let us know how it is all going after a few days.

Glenn
#15396 by bw1
Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:48 am
Yes, it is good to know and will have to be something we ask when someone runs a test - Was your PC running any software that was downloading or uploading data?

Also, when someone has call quality issues - Did you try making a call with only the Ooma hub connected directly to the (cable or DSL) modem and with no other PC's or routers connected?
#15400 by inspectorgene
Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:58 am
I guess the torrent program was set to seed [upload]. That's what was grabbing all the bandwidth.

I have kind of a weird wiring setup due to the previous problems with my overhead line, and I haven't figured exactly what the tech did yet.

I have a wireless router/modem. Wired from the wall jack to the modem, and then wired from the back of the modem back to the modem on ooma. BUT, I think the tech wired the wall jack in my office to be DSL only unless a special splitter is attached. Still workin' on that.

bw1 wrote:Yes, it is good to know and will have to be something we ask when someone runs a test - Was your PC running any software that was downloading or uploading data?

Also, when someone has call quality issues - Did you try making a call with only the Ooma hub connected directly to the (cable or DSL) modem and with no other PC's or routers connected?
#15404 by bw1
Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:13 am
Looking back through this thread, I don't see where any one asked or you specified whether your Ooma hub was before or after the router. If your setup was modem -> hub -> router or PC, then the QoS for the hub should have reserved enough bandwidth for your calls.

If you don't have it setup that way now, you may want to change it to prevent future issues with bandwidth.