This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#14986 by scottlindner
Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:33 pm
Aveamantium wrote:Notice that he/she said that the internet dropped the same time that the voice did... "Later noticed that internet also was disconnected while having the voice drop over phone." Sounds like an ISP symptom?

Doh. Sorry for missing that. That could be an ISP problem, but if these users have DSL it is possible that we are seeing the DSL/HPNA collision.

Scott
#14987 by Aveamantium
Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:34 pm
scottlindner wrote:
Aveamantium wrote:Notice that he/she said that the internet dropped the same time that the voice did... "Later noticed that internet also was disconnected while having the voice drop over phone." Sounds like an ISP symptom?

Doh. Sorry for missing that. That could be an ISP problem, but if these users have DSL it is possible that we are seeing the DSL/HPNA collision.

Scott

Good point!
#15153 by sami
Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:39 pm
The outward voice break continued even after internet is stable. I was changing the settings based on the feedback from the forum. It had improved little bit after altering QoS in router (decreased the break from about 5 sec to 1 sec in every few mins).

Here is my settings and observations
Connection : modem-router-hub
- call break worsens if I disable the QoS in hub after setting it in router
- improved after changing QoS on router and in hub

superdad : try altering the QoS settings again.

I will keep the setting as is for few days and see. The surprising thing is, it was working well for the past few months until last week. I didn't change any setting in the meantime.

Thank you all for the suggestions.
#15994 by oomacomcast
Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:03 pm
We bought ooma about 2 months ago, and everything was working phone until around 2 days ago or Aug 12. My callers are also saying they hear drop words or my voice is crackling. Sometimes, the conversation would be ok for the 1st few minutes, then the poor quality starts where the caller says they can hear some of the words that I am saying. Then, an hour later, try calling another person, then the caller did not complain. So, not certain why it is intermittent. My ooma box is between the router and modem. Tried just running the ooma by itself, but the problem still occurs. Also, played around with the uplink speed setting, but does not seem to make a difference.
#15997 by scottlindner
Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:36 am
oomacomcast,

This may be a problem with your ISP performance. Let's check some things to see what's going on. There is a common test you can run that will tell us alot. On a machine with nothing else major going on, and antivirus software turned off, run this test and post the detailed results found on the Advanced tab. http://www.whichvoip.com/voip/speed_test/ppspeed.html

Scott
#16100 by oomacomcast
Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:22 am
Yes, called customer service, and they instructed me to test out my connection at http://myvoipspeed.visualware.com/servers/mci.html

Then, called comcast to ask about the jitter measurement, and for some reason, the jitter measure is down to 20 msec to 7 msec. This may be due to there 'line reset' control, whatever that is. Sometimes, it is up as high as 120 msec, depending how many times I run the test. Maybe, 1 out of 20 times. Had a comcast representative come, and they said no issues were found with the signal, and everything is fine.

One thing that bothers me the most when my caller says that I am breaking up or could not hear some of my words is that on skype, this problem does not even exist at all. On skype, I have no callers indicating that i have broken voice or anything like that. Why such a big difference? This happens when I only run ooma hub and the modem only without any internet connection. Only problem with skype, is that i have to leave the computer running, but that seems to be a minor problem now.
#16236 by wnl
Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:22 pm
There's definitely some sort of issue, and I think it's on ooma's end (or with their service provider). I have also experienced phone call quality issues starting within the past week. In my case the problem is what I am hearing instead of what the people on the other end hear. I hear static intermixed with the call, syllables or words drop out too. It's worse than a bad analog cellphone call. I hang up and try again and it works fine. Sometimes it's good for the start of the call but not the end. Isent a note to ooma customer service today, but don't expect to hear back until tomorrow.

I have tried a few calls with *99 and those seem to be better.

Here are my numbers from whichvoip.com and I don't see any serious issues with them:

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 0.9 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 0.8 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 8799544 bps
Upload speed: 5520696 bps
Download quality of service: 75 %
Upload quality of service: 14 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 49 ms
Average download pause: 3 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 71 ms
Average round trip time to server: 74 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 16000000bps
Route concurrency: 1.818276
Download TCP forced idle: 56 %
Maximum route speed: --
#16242 by niknak
Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:34 pm
...here are my numbers from whichvoip.com and I don't see any serious issues with them:

Download quality of service: 75 %
Upload quality of service: 14 %

These numbers are not great especially 14% upload QOS
#16258 by wnl
Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:59 pm
murphy wrote:Upload quality of service of 14% is horrible.

Which is caused by what exactly? The upload speed is clearly not a problem (5520696 bps). Could this be an artifact of the computer (laptop) that I ran the test on? My router? Or my service?

Update: the poor QoS numbers appear to be related to the computer I ran the test from. I tried a different computer in my house and got 89% and 97% respectively. I will repost all the numbers from that computer when I have a chance.