This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#14807 by superdad
Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:54 am
Hello,
I just setup my Ooma system and the folks I call say my voice is accompanied with crackling, whereas I can hear them just fine. I contacted Ooma support to no avail.
My configuration is as follows:
The Ooma hub is positioned between my router and my cable modem, and I have four PCs connected to the router via a separate hub.
I ran the speed test and my upload speed is .97Mbps; download speed is 449Mbps.
I set Ooma hub parameters as follows:
Upstream internet speed: 970Kbps
Downstream internet speed: 0
Reserved bandwidth for calls: 130Kbps (default)

I went to whichvoip.com and ran the test, results are as follows:
Jitter: 6.4ms
Packet Loss: 0%
MOS Score: 3.9
Download speed: 2.54Mbps
Upload speed: 970Kbps
QOS: 58%

I am looking for suggestions to eliminate the crackling of my voice that my callers hear when I speak to them. Please help!!!
#14821 by WayneDsr
Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:47 am
First of all try a different phone. If you are using a cordless, try a wired.

There will be lots of suggestions concerning your ooma hub settings.
I'd try them all, but in the meantime, do as I do. Put the ooma hub behind the router as you would a pc. You can control your Quality of Service with the router, if it supports it. For now, just give that a try along with all the suggestions others have using ooma before the router.

Post results as you experiment.

Wayne
#14859 by superdad
Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:38 pm
Hmm.... So, is there anything I can do about that? I've even tried a different phone, thinking the other one was causing the problem. As I posted above, my QOS is low. What can I do?

but2002 wrote:If your using the scout to place the call, it's been known that the scout produces crackling on outgoing voice.
#14978 by sami
Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:06 pm
I am also having similar problem that the people in other end is not able to hear me for few sec. I am using ooma for past 5 months, no problem until now.

ISP : comcast ,
ooma device is between modem & router (earlier it was after router,just switched a month back because ooma suggest it)
whichvoip result looks good
jitter 0.5 ms
pocket loss 1%
mos scroe 4.0
download 11 mbps
upload 6.74 mbps
QOS 79%

I have reset modem,ooma device, no improvement. Later noticed that internet also was disconnected while having the voice drop over phone. Talked to comcast. They have reset my a/c and asked me to powercycle the devices. I have to check it again.

No luck!. The ISP seems to be ok now. I have tried setting QoS in both ooma hub and/or router with hub before or after router.
Last edited by sami on Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
#14982 by Aveamantium
Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:24 pm
scottlindner wrote:These outbound voice breaking up issues sound a lot like what I had before I set up QoS on my router but I still had my Ooma Hub behind the router. For those having the break up problem, what is your configuration?

Scott

Notice that he/she said that the internet dropped the same time that the voice did... "Later noticed that internet also was disconnected while having the voice drop over phone." Sounds like an ISP symptom?