This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#13749 by nrs
Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:19 am
Charter is the ISP.

Does this QOS device ATA can this be installed in the network setup and is there any good one available. I do not mind if it can improve call quality rather pleading with the ISP.

Nrs
#13751 by Aveamantium
Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:40 am
An ATA is an analog telephone adapter (or the ooma hub). Upload Qos is controlled by your LAN so a good router (I use a Linksys WRT54GL with Tomato firmware) can help this. However, if you are not doing anything else on your LAN, and you are still getting bad scores then a router will not help. Qos basically prioritizes your traffic (primarily in the outbound direction) so if your browsing while on a call Qos will prioritize voice traffic over the browsing traffic.

By the way I consistently get bad "qos" scores from this test site since my ISP speed varies quite a bit. However my voice quality is fine. Jitter is basically a measure of packets getting to your (or their) equipment in the order they were sent so you do want low jitter scores (less than 5).

If you have heavy LAN traffic consider using a router with good QOS or put the ooma between the modem and the router and setup the Qos in the ooma (I've discussed how to do this on several other threads). However, if you're having problems with no other LAN traffic you need to work with your ISP to get this resolved!

Best of luck!