This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#13727 by nrs
Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:36 am
I have been using Omma since March 09. It worked Ok(just). In last two weeks onwards call quality is extremely poor, cannot talk when other side is talking, vice versa. It is now like a walkie talkie. Everyone complaints that either they can't hear clear or too much of breaking up.

About caller ID, I did try the customer service, gave me tkt number and tried about two times, no luck and that is it. When ever I make a call or receive a call it only says the state names but not exactly who it is.

This is my set up. Modem>Airport Extreme N > ooma. Only two computers connected and one is off most of the time and other one not much in use except just internet browsing. No other gadgets attached to the network and is a simple network.

Can any one help to troubleshoot this issue. I spent lot of time reading almost all the ooma forum. But could not point out how I can overcome this. Can changing any setup in ooma help?

Ooma one line is the only primary communication.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks
NRS
#13734 by nrs
Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:17 am
Here is the result: Tested 3 times, upload came as 490, 308, 307. I took the least. Rest the almost same. Hope this helps.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.7 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.4 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 4805376 bps
Upload speed: 307320 bps
Download quality of service: 99 %
Upload quality of service: 1 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 20 ms
Average download pause: 9 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 74 ms
Average round trip time to server: 77 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 4805376bps
Route concurrency: --
Download TCP forced idle: --
Maximum route speed: 7084864bps

Thanks
NRS
#13735 by bw1
Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:17 am
It could be something with your internet connection, so like Niknak says test your connection and post your results.

The other thing that you may want to try is to put the Ooma hub after the modem and before the router so that you get QOS from Ooma.

About the Caller ID, your incoming caller id should be showing the name and number in most cases, but it may depend on the carrier of the caller initiating the call.

Your outgoing caller id, should display the name associated to your account. If it's not then you should contact Customer Support.
#13737 by bw1
Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:21 am
nrs wrote:Here is the result: Tested 3 times, upload came as 490, 308, 307. I took the least. Rest the almost same. Hope this helps.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.7 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 3.4 ms
Estimated MOS score: 4.0

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 4805376 bps
Upload speed: 307320 bps
Upload quality of service: 1 %
Maximum TCP delay: 20 ms
Average download pause: 9 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 74 ms
Average round trip time to server: 77 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 4805376bps
Route concurrency: --
Download TCP forced idle: --
Maximum route speed: 7084864bps

Thanks
NRS

Everything looks fine except the 1% upload QOS. You could try what I suggested above with the hub before the router, but it's more than likely an ISP issue. Contact your ISP and supply them with this information, not just a speed test. It's jitter, packet loss and QOS that affect your VOIP not the bandwidth (upload/download speed) available.
#13739 by nrs
Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:31 am
Here is the result after changing to Modem>Ooma>Router(airport extreme N). I see some difference. Let me know what you all think.

Only question is Ooma connected directly to modem, what could be the security issue?

Thanks
Nrs

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.1 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.0 ms
Estimated MOS score: 4.1

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 5289056 bps
Upload speed: 546792 bps
Upload quality of service: 28 %
Maximum TCP delay: 8 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 82 ms
Average round trip time to server: 85 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 5289056bps
Route concurrency: 1.0
Download TCP forced idle: 0 %
Maximum route speed: 6393656bps
#13741 by nrs
Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:41 am
About this Jitter: Is there any acceptable number level which helps the voip service? If yes what number is that and how I can achieve it without ISP support. It is pain to deal with ISP as they do not care much (hard to make them understand sometimes) about my problem.

Thanks
Nrs
#13748 by bw1
Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:03 am
nrs wrote:About this Jitter: Is there any acceptable number level which helps the voip service? If yes what number is that and how I can achieve it without ISP support. It is pain to deal with ISP as they do not care much (hard to make them understand sometimes) about my problem.

Thanks
Nrs

According to that website, 5 ms or less should be acceptable.

Jitter:
Jitter when applied to VoIP is a variation in packet transit delay. The causes of jitter are typically queuing, contention and serialization effects on the path through the network. Faster, higher bandwidth networks tend to have less jitter whereas slower networks tend to have more congestion and more jitter. A QoS device like an ATA can help eliminate some of this jitter.