This forum includes tips for maintaining the best audio quality possible with the Ooma System. If your Ooma system is having issues with dropped calls, static audio or echo, look here for assistance.
#20852 by LetterK
Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:45 am
I’m having the poor scout quality issue too. I’ve hooked the scout directly to the hub and I get static and crackling on the outbound only.

I’m having the poor customer service issue too. I have probably called a half a dozen times and the three-prong adapter never arrived. The return phone call from the higher level tech support hasn’t happened either. I been told I will get a follow up call, but it never happens. I can understand they are new and have bugs to work out, but the free trail is only 30 days. I gave the benefit of the doubt, but 15 days since my last call and 30 days since the first makes me thing they have forgotten me.
#20933 by edex
Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:24 am
I had similar problem. Since I no longer have a landline, I disconnected the company's telephone wires at the network interface and it helped with the call quality on the scout.
#30352 by Bill D
Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:37 pm
I installed a Hub and Scout a few days ago. I’m experiencing the same Scout-only outbound call quality problem that’s well-documented by many diligent folks on this forum.

My Hub calls have good sound quality both ways. My Scout calls always sound scratchy to the other party, but their voice always sounds good to me. It doesn’t matter whether I originate the call or the other party does.

In my test calls to/from several landline volunteers, I used a wired phone moved between my Hub & Scout, which are connected together with only a short jumper (no in-wall wires or landline connected). My Ooma firmware rev is 27712.27712.

I tried installing Ooma before and after my router and there’s no difference. The Ooma reserved bandwidth settings also don’t make a difference. I have plenty of network bandwidth and a Linksys WRT54G router running Tomato 1.25 with Ooma assigned as the top QoS priority.

I called Ooma support using my Scout. She confirmed I sounded scratchy. She called me back on my Hub and confirmed I didn’t sound scratchy, gave me trouble ticket # and said to expect a call back. I’m still waiting.

I’m trying to decide whether or not to return the Ooma to the local retailer while I still can. If the Scout call quality is fixed, I’ll likely keep it and sign up for Premier.

Since so many folks have posted about this problem – Has anyone solved it? – Does anyone understand it? - What’s different between a Hub-call and a Scout-call? - Am I missing something?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Bill D
#30360 by murphy
Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:08 pm
The scout communicates with the hub using the HPNA protocol.
How is the scout connected to the hub?
Do you have cable or DSL?

For a test set the scout beside the hub and connect the wall jacks of each together with a phone cable.
Rerun your test in this configuration.
#30365 by Bill D
Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:22 pm
Thanks for the quick reply.

My Hub & Scout are side-by-side connected together with only a short 4-inch jumper (no in-wall wires or landline connected to the Hub & Scout).

I have DSL tested at 4.5 Mbps down and 650 Kbps up. Plenty of bandwidth. Ooma support person had me run speedtest.net while we talked on the Hub. The heavy traffic of the test caused no interruption or reduction of voice qualiy either way.

Bill D